The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture 3 is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcf

Kevin, I don't want to start a controversy here. I have read the page more carefully and I admit this could be coincidental. Sorry for bringing this up - the instantaneity of Internet is not always a good thing.

jonoslack

HI Kevin
I'm proud to be part of an infinite support loop :D
Joseph's site seemed a good place to post this - but I've also sent it to Apple (no reply expected).
As Eoin says - we've been around the houses on Aperture - he's the smart guy, and I'm the blunt instrument :deadhorse:
Still, I've seen enough to know that if it finally settles down then I'm staying (the brushes are wonderful).
45,077 left out of 85,000 - getting there (wherever that may be!)

kevinparis

still waiting to do the leap ( OK I am pulling favours to get serial number... hell I am scottish :))

Josephs site is definately worth bookmarking.. he was the guy who taught me and he got his stuff from the the guys who wrote the program.

anyway.. absinthe fund not doing so well.... still i have learned a lot :)

K

jonoslack

still waiting to do the leap ( OK I am pulling favours to get serial number... hell I am scottish :))

Josephs site is definately worth bookmarking.. he was the guy who taught me and he got his stuff from the the guys who wrote the program.

anyway.. absinthe fund not doing so well.... still i have learned a lot :)

K
I assumed that you'd had EP and GF support whipped out from the golden master to support the absinthe fund . . . don't tell me I'm mistaken :eek:

jonoslack

Deary me
How depressing - if I could, I'd be over there in a flash to buy you an Absinthe in person . . . but it's rather a long way from Cornwall.

On the other hand (depending) a sniff of the barmaid's apron could be just the fillip we all need!

Terry

I've been playing around in Aperture 3 and there is a lot that I like about it. One thing that I'm not sure I understand yet deals with the history of adjustments and have some other questions:

In Lightroom you can step back through the changes you've made to a file and see what you've done it what order. Is there an equivalent in Aperture? I see that you can turn on and off adjustments groups (like exposure) but that takes into account multiple things you could have done. In particular the history on brush adjustments would be useful.

In LR where you can click on the dots to activate/modify a previous brush/grad filter adjustments is there an equivalent?

For people who have used both LR and Aperture have you changed the flow of how you make adjustments?

Does Aperture have the equivalent of virtual copies? How do you make them and at what point in the process can you create one?

I really like the places implementation easy to add the info to the photos now I just wish my cameras tagged them!

kevinparis

Versions is the Aperture equivalent of virtual copies - right click on an image at anytime and you can either create a new version with your current adjustments or a new version from the master file.

there isn't a history as such - but you could create a version at each stage.

K

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who use Aperture as a DAM but use other raw converters, just exactly how do you menage your workflow and files.
thanks
-bob

jonoslack

For those of you who use Aperture as a DAM but use other raw converters, just exactly how do you menage your workflow and files.
thanks
-bob
HI Bob
Why would you do that when it covers the 'conversion' so well? (of course, the actual process of conversion doesn't really happen except for direct output - print/client/website)
If you were to use other raw converters why would you bother to use Aperture?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
HI Bob
Why would you do that when it covers the 'conversion' so well? (of course, the actual process of conversion doesn't really happen except for direct output - print/client/website)
If you were to use other raw converters why would you bother to use Aperture?
Jono,
Just following up on Doug Peterson's comment that he uses Aperture for organization.
Frankly, Aperture does a totally horrid job of conversion on two of my three current cameras. The GF1's files are recognized as unsupported picture files, and the P65+ files are not even seen! :mad:
So I will take your word that it does lovely conversions, but not for me.
-bob

jonoslack

Jono,
Just following up on Doug Peterson's comment that he uses Aperture for organization.
Frankly, Aperture does a totally horrid job of conversion on two of my three current cameras. The GF1's files are recognized as unsupported picture files, and the P65+ files are not even seen! :mad:
So I will take your word that it does lovely conversions, but not for me.
-bob
Hi Bob
Well, Kevin's little automation on facefullofbees.com will sort out the GF1 for you - but not the P65+
The abiding criticism of Aperture is the camera support - I quite agree with it. I think we were all hoping this would be fixed in version 3 - apparently not.

all the best

Status
Not open for further replies.