The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture 3 is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmac55

I upgraded from Ap2 to Ap3. The upgrade process worked okay or so I thought. Now when I open Aperture, the program crawls at an unacceptable level, then shuts itself down after just a few minutes. This happens every time. I've read on several forums how problematic Ap3 is. Not sure if it worse for upgrades vs first time Aperture users but I am not pleased.

roanjoh

I upgraded from Ap2 to Ap3. The upgrade process worked okay or so I thought. Now when I open Aperture, the program crawls at an unacceptable level, then shuts itself down after just a few minutes. This happens every time. I've read on several forums how problematic Ap3 is. Not sure if it worse for upgrades vs first time Aperture users but I am not pleased.
Turn off face recognition under preference.

Godfrey

Versions is the Aperture equivalent of virtual copies - right click on an image at anytime and you can either create a new version with your current adjustments or a new version from the master file.

there isn't a history as such - but you could create a version at each stage.
ugh. i'd hoped for something better than that.

ustein

Contributing Editor
History in Lightroom is excellent. MAde from the same guy who made th history in Photoshop (also very good). But the LR history is even persistent.

kevinparis

If history is important to you then use Lightroom - personally i have never missed it in Aperture - but then again i don't spend a lot of time on PP - thats my way of working

K

"History is more or less bunk. It's tradition. We don't want tradition. We want to live in the present, and the only history that is worth a tinker's damn is the history that we make today."

Henry Ford

ustein

Contributing Editor
>If history is important to you then use Lightroom - personally i have never missed it in Aperture - but then again i don't spend a lot of time on PP

I would no base my decision for a RAW converter/DAM based on history. But very nice to have.

jpmac55

Just a quick follow up, I contacted Apple Help Desk and they were able to guide through a few steps which resolved the problem. So far, so good.

jonoslack

Just a quick follow up, I contacted Apple Help Desk and they were able to guide through a few steps which resolved the problem. So far, so good.
Hi There . . . and what were these few steps . . . I'm sure some of us would love to know.
I keep thinking I've got it right, and then it grinds to a halt again.

At least I've seen how really wonderful, fast and full featured it CAN be!

jpmac55

Hi There . . . and what were these few steps . . . I'm sure some of us would love to know.
I keep thinking I've got it right, and then it grinds to a halt again.

At least I've seen how really wonderful, fast and full featured it CAN be!
I half expected it to work so didn't really write down the steps but the successful component was building a new library. He had me try a few different things before doing this. It only required a few steps but takes some time, depending on how many photo's you have.

One step I did remember was while launching Aperture, hold down the 'shift' key. This limits the amount of activity going on in the background. You'll want to turn off the faces feature if you haven't already.

I'd contact Apple Service though if you get stumped. This appears to be a pretty generic problem and they seem to have a work around fix for.

One other thing. I upped my memory from 1M to 4M. The Apple Store people insisted that Aperture 3 is a resource hog and recommended doing this. I am not sure it mattered in the end but am happy I did it.

jonoslack

Hi John
Thanks for that.
My problem with rebuilding was that it would grind to a halt after a few thousand photos . . . and so would the computer!

This version really does seem to have fixed it, which is wonderful. I know have a working library without crashing and with really quick brushes . . . it's all rather wonderful!

Terry

Still no support - slow as usual.
Carl,
Aperture updates don't change camera support. For Apple, camera support gets updated with the operating system. There is an OS update due very soon. From reading the normal websites 10.6.3 is out there in beta with the developer community and the last 10.6.3 update is supposedly very close to release.

scho

Carl,
Aperture updates don't change camera support. For Apple, camera support gets updated with the operating system. There is an OS update due very soon. From reading the normal websites 10.6.3 is out there in beta with the developer community and the last 10.6.3 update is supposedly very close to release.
Thanks Terry. I didn't realize that the camera support was tied to the OS upgrades.

Godfrey

Carl,
This is not exactly true, although Mac OS X incremental updates can also include camera support updates. Camera support updates are distributed as "Digital Camera Raw Compatibility" updates when installed software triggers a need through Software Update. The most recent of these was released coincident with Aperture 3 ...
http://www.apple.com/downloads/maco...es/digitalcamerarawcompatibilityupdate30.html
... and is installed with Aperture 3 or by Software Update if you have the iLife '09 application suite installed.

The raw processing services are supplied in the CoreServices.framework system library. Not something you want to mess with by hand, but it's not required that the operating system be updated to plug in the latest camera support.

Last edited:

jonoslack

The raw processing services are supplied in the CoreServices.framework system library. Not something you want to mess with by hand, but it's not required that the operating system be updated to plug in the latest camera support.
Ah. Indeed Godfrey, however, messing with RAW.plist is something most of us have done to our good at some time or another.

Currently though, it's easier to use Kevin's nice little automator to change the name of the camera, as 'similar' cameras are supported for both the GF1 (G1) EP1&2 (E30)

Incidentally - although slightly flakey, when it's good Aperture 3 is completely stunning - much better than I'd expected and really quick as well. One has to assume that if it's fantastic most of the time, a couple of upgrades will make it fantastic all of the time!

all the best

Ruediger

Check the Software Update. New RAW compatibility update adding support for:

Hasselblad H3DII-50
Leica M9
Leica X1
Olympus E-P1
Olympus E-P2
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
Pentax K-7
Pentax K-x
Sony Alpha DSLR-A500