The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ZD file in Aperture

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Would love for someone to just see if my ZD files can work in Aperture. I will load a raw file here with a link . If someone would like to try this for me it would be appreciated. If it works i can shoot tethered too. Hmmm

The file extension is MEF

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Guy,

The next update of Capture One will support the ZD. For tethered shooting, it doesn't get much better.

David

LJL

I would also like to see it open in Aperture myself, so go ahead and post a link, Guy. As Aperture gets more plug-ins, it may become a very serious contender for doing most of the work. In their tech specs, they DO NOT list the Mamiya ZD, but they do have support for all the Hasselblads and Leaf backs.

LJ

LJL

Another option is to use the new Adobe DNG converter and that may get the file into a format that is readable by more things. Not sure what will be lost in the translation, however. Just make sure the "Convert to Linear Image" option is turned OFF if you want to create a DNG that Aperture will read.

LJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy:

Just add it here as an acceptable extension with adequate size, then upload it here -- after all, you ARE a super moderator ;)

David K

Workshop Member
Tried importing a folder full of ZD raw (MEF) files into the Aperture (latest version) library. The folder is there but the files are not visible.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks David. Maybe the way to do it is convert them in the DNG converter to a file it will recognize. Or get Apple to support that file format. There .MEF extension if anyone wanted to know

LJL

Thanks David. Maybe the way to do it is convert them in the DNG converter to a file it will recognize. Or get Apple to support that file format. There .MEF extension if anyone wanted to know
Guy,
That was what I mentioned a bit earlier. Apple presently does not show support for those files, other than converting them to DNG format. Apple seems to be addressing file handling (RAW conversion support) a bit faster than before, so folks requesting the .MEF file support is a good idea.

My other question raised in other threads is about how much info may or may not get transferred in the DNG, and whether it matters or not. In the case of the Hasselblad stuff, there is a lot of data being used by their Phocus app to do things in their conversions. The Mamiya stuff does not appear to have those issues, but it would be nice to know.

LJ