The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

At Last - Apple supply the Raw Support we all wanted

jonoslack

Digital Camera Raw Compatibility UPdate 3.1
Hssy H3DII-50
Leica M9
Leica X1
Olympus E-P1
Olympus E-P2
Panasonic GF1
Pentax K7
Pantax Kx
Sony A500
Sony A550
Sony A850

trisberg

Does this update enable the Finder to show thumbnails of the ORF files?

Looks like it requires Aperture 3 or iPhoto '09 to be installed - I have neither and the package refuses to install :(

-Thomas

roanjoh

Just found out a second ago!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!! Finally Apple is learning!!! Now I can delete LR in my Mac!!!

T

tonyroth

I was using Aperture 3.01. Tonight I updated the Camera Raw and while the conversions are nicer, the processing speed when making adjustments is about 1000 times slower, and the application is less stable, crashing periodically. Has anyone else experienced similar behavior. I am still running 10.5.8. Perhaps I need to update to snow leopard? Any insights would be much appreciated. Thanks, tony. ps: running on a MacBook Pro, about 2.5 years old, with 4gb ram.

Terry

I'm pretty sure when I installed Aperture 3 for certain cameras you needed to be on the latest version of Snow Leopard.

kevinparis

The thing to remember was that the main new things in Snow leopard were under the hood things - like improved 64 bit support and other things designed to make applications going forward run better - Aperture 3 probably takes advantage of a lot of these facilities if they are available - hence the disparity of folks saying it runs faster and those saying it runs slower.

K

the 30 bucks for snow leopard are probably a good investment now

K

iiiNelson

I haven't run Snow Leopard in a while since it was pretty unstable when it first came out IMO. That being said I'm happy Apple put out this update but that only answers half of the question for me - and the other half is how serious are they about supporting new cameras as released. I know Adobe will and I'm waiting until a large batch of non-Canon and Nikons are released before diving back into the Aperture pool personally. Not to be a naysayer as I truly believe this is a step in the right direction in correcting obvious oversights on their part.