The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Do you use a tablet?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I have a wacom. I tried it and just couldn't get into it. It's about a year old and like new. Happy to sell it to you.

p.s. The tablet performs exactly as advertised, lots of folks love them. I'm just not one of them.

simonclivehughes

I have one of the Wacom Intuos 16:9 tablets that I use with CS3 although not all the time. I find if you're doing any finicky dodging or burning or cloning/healing brush moves it can be very helpful.

Cheers,

LJL

I also have an older Wacom, and agree with Simon and Tim.....it takes some dedicated effort to get the hang of it, but once you start to use it, it can provide a lot of handy tools and options that do save time and permit more control easier. The pen pressure thing is a good example.....setting it properly can make some tasks very quick and controlled.

All that said, I have not been using it as much as I probably should, because I keep working on things on the laptop and desktop, but only have it hooked up with the desktop right now. It seems to be a tool that once you start using it diligently, it can be fantastic, but swapping back and forth just becomes a bit of a pain. I have seriously thought about getting another that I will drag around with my MacBook Pro, but one more thing to carry, set-up and use always makes me think about that again.

LJ

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ditto the above comments. I will add that the few folks I've seen really make the tablets sing were great free-hand artists to begin with, so maybe that's a connection between being facile with it or not. Personally, I feel I am more facile with a mouse. But the tablet at least looks cool sitting next to my monitor and I do use it on rare occasion for really tiny edits of localized areas, like re-coloring eyes.

FWIW...

mwalker

Subscriber Member
It sounds like all I need a good mouse. I'm using the powerbook thumb pad and it sucks for detail burning and dodging.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
get yourself a little wireless mouse with a USB stick and you'll never go back to the trackpad (unless you have to). There are a bunch of neat smaller models out there.

LJL

Mike,
Is that a PowerBook or a Macbook(Pro)? If the PB, and if it does not have Bluetooth, then Tim's suggestion is the ticket. If a newer MB(P), I think they all ship with Bluetooth, and then something like even the Apple Mighty Mouse is small, and pretty responsive, making it easy to use and travel. You just have to keep the BT part recharged. I actually prefer wired stuff instead, but the cords can be come a real PITA at times. I have a very small McAlly mouse for travel with my MBP, though I have conditioned myself to NOT make any critical edit work on the laptop. Touch-ups and stuff are fine, but all critical stuff goes through the desktop for best color calibration.

The tablets do not fix that part of the problem, but with regular use, they can make working a lot easier. As Jack mentioned, there are folks, like graphic artists that can run rings around even the fastest keyboarders with the most sensitive rodent attached. The ultimate nice tool is the Wacom Cintiq device that is the monitor and tablet in one. You work directly on the screen. I watched a guy retouch wedding pix at blinding speed using one of those. No way a mouser could keep up.

They are great tools, but have a both a learning curve, and somewhat of an ability curve to negotiate. If you draw, then tablets are wonderful. If you do not, they require some effort to learn and get comfortable with.

LJ

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the replys, I have a MBP and I use a 30" apple display. I'll try the mighty mouse....

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I have the Watcom Graphire bluetooth and have used it but just never got the hang of it. I'm with Jack on the idea that those with freehand drawing skills do better with.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
+1 Jack et alia.
Have one, use it for all sorts of things, but it needs acclimatization.
-bob

S

Sean_Reid

I use two Wacoms, since 1999, and would be lost without them. They're nearly as important to me as my right arm. I even carry the smaller one with my laptop if I'm going to be working on location for a few days. Both are the older "Intuos" models.

Also...a talented massage therapist friend of mine once pointed out to me that the human hand has long evolved for holding a stick, a pencil, etc. The mouse, by comparison, can do strange things to the arm as it relies on muscles in unusual ways. I myself can't stand using a mouse. I do draw from time to time but I don't think one need be an artist to get the hang of these - it just takes practice.

Cheers,

Sean

etrigan63

I am currently reviewing the HP tx2000 tablet laptop (convertible) and it's touchscreen is the same technology as a Wacom Cintiq. It's just 12.1" in size though. I will be loading up Photoshop and Lightroom on it shortly and will be testing the pen functions. It may well end up being a very excellent portable digital darkroom. The only drawback I foresee is that the touchscreen is glossy and that wreaks havoc when trying to use it under task lighting (like in a workplace) or in the sunlight.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
There are some things that just can't be done without a tablet. For instance, the Wacom tablet enables brush size based on pressure and brush shape based on tilt and direction. Neither of these functions can be accomplised with a mouse.

In my retouching workflow, I use the tablet extensively to paint in mask selections, as well as have a good feel with the healing brush. Don't love it for maniputating curves and doing a lot of file management, but couldn't live without it for imaging. The 6x8 Intuos 3 fits very nicely in my laptop bag.

David

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Yup.

I ran your test chart. Smooth gradients all around. Dead neutral B+W. Strawberries look good enough to eat... I'll let you be the judge though.

I want to make some prints of some of my M8 and DMR files for you to take a look at, if you don't mind. Also, if you have some files from your workshops, I'd be happy to print those for you. Real-world results are always more telling than targets I think. Email me more if you'd like. I'll be printing tomorrow.

Sorry to be off topic...

David

M

matmcdermott

I agree with Sean's comments. I'd be lost without mine. I've had it for years (maybe 8 years ago, which is of nearly eternity in the digital realm) and immediately found it very easy to use, and generally take it with me when I travel with the laptop. Image retouching, spotting, etc is so much to do than with a mouse. The thing that makes it so good is that the whole tablet can be mapped to correspond to the screen; it's not just a gigantic mouse pad. After a short while using the stylus is second nature. I've got the mouse that comes with it out on my desk, but it only gets used if someone happens to want to use my computer who isn't familiar with the tablet. For what it's worth, I do have a fine art background as well as one in technical/architectural drawing by hand.

bradhusick

I have found that once you use a Wacom Cintiq (I prefer the 12") you will never be satisfied with trying to use selection tools with a mouse again. Being able to zoom in on someone's eye or teeth and just trace the outline with the pen is like magic. Using a mouse for this is like trying to write with a bar of soap.

-Brad

Don Libby

Do you use a tablet with CS3? If so what brand?
I've been using a WACOM Cintiq 12WX for a couple months now and like it. The 12WX is handy when I need to do critical functions in CS3 such as layer and mask detail work. I had an older tablet that I just couldn't seem to get to work into my workflow but don't find that an issue with the Cintiq. You have the option of having it sit on the worktop like a monitor or lay it flat or for that matter hold it on you lap and do your work there; I've done it all and like it, however for critical work it's nice to have it right in front of you flat on the table or lap with you monitor directly in front of you.

Like I said, I've had mine for about 6 months now and haven't found any problems. The neat thing is that when I don't use the tablet function I can use it as an alternate monitor.

don

etrigan63

I am happy to report that the HP t2000z convertible notebook/tablet behaves exactly like like a Wacom Cintiq. Photoshop responds to the pen pressure correctly. This is a highly slick portable for field photography use.