The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus Corruption in Aperture

jonoslack

Ouch.
This is happening with both EP1 and EP2 files in Aperture (but not any other camera).

Sometimes when you click on a file it says 'loading' and comes up fine, at other times, and seemingly at random the file will look something like this:

looking at it again later and it will look normal again

Then, next time it might look like this

I've tried reinstalling the raw update to no avail.

any ideas anyone?

As an addendum - this also happens if you preview the files in the finder with aperture closed!
this didn't seem to be happening a few days ago :eek:

Last edited:
J

Jamesmd

just thinking out loud , could it start happening when you mixed EP1 and EP2 files ?

it shouldn't be a problem I imagine , but you never know.

jonoslack

just thinking out loud , could it start happening when you mixed EP1 and EP2 files ?

it shouldn't be a problem I imagine , but you never know.
Hi James
Nice idea - but I don't think so. But it's like some kind of a disease, it's happening to EP1 files taken last summer as well.

jonoslack

Take the screen captures and send to Apple through the Aperture feedback.
HI Terry
I've done that . . . (but I doubt they'll reply, they just log problems, I dont' think they cure them!)
I'm beginning to suspect that it's something nasty on a new hard drive, although why it should only affect the Olympus files is quite beyond me. I did test for this - but wrote it off when I found that the same files on a different disk did the same thing . . . . and then I realised that they had first been imported on to the new disk, and then copied off to the second disk.

These things take so long to get to the bottom of :sleep006:

I'm fairly sure it isn't to do with Aperture itself though, because:

1. it wasn't happening 2 days ago
2. it shows up at operating system level when you preview the files.

J

Jamesmd

The only new figure in the puzzle is the EP2 , did you format the card from the ep1 on the ep2 before using it ? Perhaps the mix was on the card . Things like that some times do strange things to files you allready had .
I would open a new proj with only new files from ep2 on new formated card , and see what happens ? Then I would ad de older ep1 files .

Hope your lucky ;-)

Cheers

James

jonoslack

A preliminary answer . . . I hope.

Did you try with a different RAW converted? If you don't have one then send the a RAW to friend or me (with yousendit.com to [email protected])
HI Uwe.
Yes - two other converters. Lightroom and C1 . . . they seemed to be fine, but I am beginning to get a handle on it. The clue was that older EP1 files from last summer were also coming up 'bad' . . . only Olympus files though.

I'm off for a week in the Alps tomorrow, and as well as taking photos, eating, drinking and skiing, I'm putting together a wedding book. So, rather than carrying my large Aperture hard drive, I bought a new Iomega 500GB FW800 drive and copied my files from 2008 - 2010 to it (a snug fit).

I first noticed the problem on Friday with new Olympus files - I tried to copy them to another drive (first thought) and they still showed the problem. Added to which all other files were working fine - quickly and without error.

I tried using Lightroom and Capture one, and they were both fine . . . . . and then I realised that I'd tried them on versions of the files on my main drive (which had never been on the new Iomega drive).

More testing reveals that EP files (either 1 or 2) which are copied to this new drive will show the error . . . but not on another drive, and files from other cameras will not cause an issue on this drive. Finally, last night I got an error running disk utility on the drive. I then tried some tests:

1. copied EP2 files from the CD card (two different ones actually) to the Iomega drive - they show the problem
2. copied these same files to a third drive - they STILL show the problem
3. copied the files from the CD cards to the third drive - No Probem
4. copied files from the A900 and M9 to the Iomega drive - No Problem

Go Figure - but it looks like the problem is the drive rather than Aperture, the Camera or the Computer. This Is Good News - although still rather confusing.

Now I have erased and reformatted the new drive (something I should have done in the first place). Resolved to delete nothing from anywhere, and will copy the files back on to it and see whether it's still a problem, or whether it was just a poor format from the store.

I will report back!

All the best (and thanks for the yousendit offer). I can still send you some files if you'd like to look at them.

jonoslack

The only new figure in the puzzle is the EP2 , did you format the card from the ep1 on the ep2 before using it ? Perhaps the mix was on the card . Things like that some times do strange things to files you allready had .
I would open a new proj with only new files from ep2 on new formated card , and see what happens ? Then I would ad de older ep1 files .

Hope your lucky ;-)

Cheers

James
Hi James
All this was done in the first place - new project, new cards (two different ones) etc. etc.

see message above, I think it's the drive.

all the best