The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Getting Organised - your suggestions appreciated

LJL

Rather than get deep into a possible fray, and not to push one way over another, I ran across an interesting resource that some/many folks may find it worth the time to explore. It is a new organization dedicated to digital photography best practices and workflow ( http://www.dpbestflow.org/ ). The premise being that there are some best practices that have emerged over time, as well as different workflows, and folks should construct systems and organizations that fit their use and needs, rather than trying to force a way around how they work. It is pretty much centered around RAW capture and processing, though not pushing one app or tool. I found it rather refreshing in some respects. It has a lot of information on lots of topics that get bantered about here over and over, so some of it will seem familiar, some new. It will take time to go through a lot of it, but it does appear to be a good resource worth bookmarking.

LJ

PeterA

Jack -- no need for any apology it is my ignorance and thanks again, Guy, Roger Dale and Godfrey thanks. LGlL- I will certainly check that site out!

A lot of thinking up front Ifigure in order to make the best decisions!

Just sorting out an issue with my Sinar back ( ughhh ) all this talk of backing up made me run to a camera and make some shots over the last few days..now I haev an inexplicable cant download error from back to Expose - that even has my guru dealer flummoxed!

sheesh the Hy6 is lovely to use if you like WLF!

hahahha - life huh?:ROTFL::ROTFL:

Thanks Again everyone.
Pete

PeterA

*Aside - I have fried one computers ram a few months ago - when we had a severe electrical storm..now checking my other puter I have 7 gigs of ram....

I am going to make one computer a test bed for stuff and the other puter a working puter..who are your favourite suppliers for ram and storage over there in the US?

Pete

thomas

FWIW...:

I don't use a cataloguing software. What if the software is discontiued one day??

1.) For the RAW files I simply store folders ("year|month|day|something"). They are stored within my Capture One sessions containg all the settings etc.
The processed 16bit TIFs (but without further editing) are stored in subfolders in the same directory/session.
2.) In addition I store a folder with the 16bit TIFs edited (on layers).
3.) In addition a folder with the 16bit TIFs flattened on one layer - this folder contains subfolders sorted by subject/themes.
All these folders are stored on an internal RAID (mirrored).
4.) I back up the entire RAID on 2 external (single) drives (using Super Duper, respectively "Data Backup" now as it is easier to exclude the cache files from the back up).
5.) In addition I back up the RAID on a third drive that is located elsewhere (I update this drive every 3-6 months depending on the amount of images I have to back up).
6.) I addition I back up the most important images (the actual RAW file without settings and a 16bit PDF of the finished file) in an online database.

As to 4.) and 5.) I prefer to use "small" single drives (1TB) for external back up as I replace these drives every 2-3 years (man, those drives cost nearly nothing if you consider the "value" they are storing).

Obviously I don't shoot high volumes, quite the opposite...