The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture-Library location

I'm new to Aperture and I'm trying to adopt the same approach I've been using with LR in respect to the library location.
With LR I have both the library and the raw files in portable HD's so that I can work always on updated files both from the MacBook or from the iMac.
I have already found one problem with this approach i.e. the face recognition funtion does not work, I presume because the search is not done on the right place, and I do not know if there is anything else I'm going to miss keeping the library out of the default location.
Do you have any suggestion about that?
Cheers,
Ario

Eoin

Ario,

Granted I'm not using face recognition in Aperture 3 at the moment, but I don't understand what you mean by " the search is not done on the right place".

It should be library specific, for example if you store your managed library or referenced library (with your image store on the same HD) on an external HD aperture should manage all this as a part of the overall library.

I have read some reports of images being moved within the library causing faces and metadata loss but these reports don't seem common to all users (read user error).

It should be possible to maintain a "referenced" library and your images on an external drive and swap between a Mac Book and iMac.

But there is always the possibility that Aperture would hold the face recognition information within the local machine application. In a Preference file perhaps. I will have a look and see if I can identify the exact location of this file if it is external to the Library and if that's the case you should be able to copy it between the 2 machines.

I'll revert if I find it over the next couple of days.

Regards

Eoin

I made a further test and I found that if the raw files are stored inside the library (managed) the face recognition works non matter where the library is located.
If the files are referenced and the library is located on an external drive the face search function does not work.
Cheers,
Ario