The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CS5 WOW!

fotografz

Saw a preview of the soon to be released CS5. Some of the new tools defy the imagination. Can't wait!

-Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Saw a preview of the soon to be released CS5. Some of the new tools defy the imagination. Can't wait!

-Marc
New LR 3.2 beta has much improved noise reduction....almost a stop improvement according to some. I find that it makes a huge difference.

Nice to see new tools that improve old captures.

I will pre-purchase this one.

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest tempering our excitement a bit --- note they did not show us the actual pixel view of what those manufactured edges look like, nor was any mention made of how big the original file was. I remain a bit skeptical, even though the technology definitely looks promising, and I will definitely be upgrading.

Ben Rubinstein

I would suggest tempering our excitement a bit --- note they did not show us the actual pixel view of what those manufactured edges look like, nor was any mention made of how big the original file was. I remain a bit skeptical, even though the technology definitely looks promising, and I will definitely be upgrading.
I'm also a bit skeptical, the fixing of the garbage on the grass didn't look good, looked like the usual healing tool gone wrong. The shadow fix under the chair also didn't look natural. The branches thingy looked good but copying over sky is not that difficult for a program to do.

Methinks this tool will work well for a given set of parameters just as the healing tool does and that the idea that it is as magic as it looks might be rather misleading.

I'm looking forward to being proven wrong as usual! What I am excited about is the new Bridge CS5 and ACR 6. The advancements between those from CS3 to CS4 were more than dramatic and I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done this time.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'll just bet it knows text from image components, just like it can recognize currency in the scan importer...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
If one is not picky about how things appear at 100% then I think it may be useful in limited situations.
-bob

LJL

It does look like it may have a fair number of goodies for many folks. This version should also be full 64-bit on the Mac.....finally, and that may help with some things. The new clone tool does look pretty powerful. As Bob mentioned, will have to see what it looks like at pixel level, as well as just how intelligent it is. Just hoping we do not start seeing even more alteration and revision of history, as this example that popped up again:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/st...lling-stone-erased-from-photographic-history/

And I concur about the watermark removal from JPEGs....keep looking for more tools that actually embed it in file IPTC so that it travels everywhere. However, that still will not stop folks from stealing if they want.

LJ

docmoore

I wonder about posting files with two perpendicular columns missing as part of a watermark....vertical and horizontal that would be hard to heal yet allow almost complete vision of the picture on the web.

A quick action as final step prior to post...would discourage most of would be theft as most do not like to work that hard.

Not very aesthetic but may be somewhat effective.

Thoughts?

Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not a bad idea Bob... Could even make it a "golden mean" grid stamp ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Be a nice idea if you could NOT use the healing, content aware and cloning brushes from a jpeg. Only a original Tif or file tied into the serial number of CS5 as the owner of the image. Nice idea

LJL

Bob and others,
Not knowing exactly how the healing brush works, why would the missing columns of data be a deterrent? Could one not just do selections on parts of the columns where there is nearby data to fill in? Just wondering. Yes, that would take a bit of extra work, but if somebody really like your image, and had any time and skill, it would still be stolen and used, I would think.

Another option is to use the Digimarc protection. That would still not prevent folks from doing screenshot copies, or other methods, but if the image was reposted, the owner would be notified. (There is some sort of coding placed into the image itself that is not easily viewed/seen, but is picked up with Web detection tools....steganography of a sort.) It costs per image, but may be worth it for some fine art. Cannot "heal" or "clone" it out.

LJ

docmoore

You are correct that with enough time and skill most data can be interpolated to fill in...harder with diagonals but not impossible. However, for a non-pro paying for Digimarc does not pan out.

Just trying to raise low hanging fruit to discourage those who would otherwise grab and run.

I doubt that most would put the effort into the majority of pictures found in JPG form on the web...definitely none of mine!:ROTFL:

Bob