The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Okay, I'm a glutton...

Jack, which NEC model did you end up with, and how is the consistency across the screen? My wife is a graphic designer and she tried the NEC 30"(3090W IIRC) and it was just pathetic. When displaying a grey background there was a reddish bloom from the lower right that took up 1/3 of the screen and the brightness was noticeably inconsistent across the screen. B&H was very nice about the return, and she's going for the lower-end Eizo 30"(FlexScan SX3031W IIRC) once we get our tax return.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dave,

I have the 3090 Spectraview that is bundled with the puck and software and renders 97% Adobe. Supposedly those panels are hand-selected for uniformity, then NEC adds a uniformity toggle in the software. I did see some slight corner pinks when I first fired it up until I turned the uniformity on, then it disappeared and the monitor is dead neutral gray corner to corner. Next I can profile this monitor to D65, 2.2 gamma and 140 Lumens and end up with dE's under 1.0, which is freaking phenomenal in my world...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thomas,

Your post just makes me more determined to try it for myself :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just knew that was coming. No one NEC is just fine for me. Besides i can't run two monitors, running my world off a laptop and the NEC.

Thanks Jack, she bought the 3090WQXi, figuring that the difference was just some calibration software, which she already had -- with a puck. I think the B&H salesperson told her that. It's sounding like there is a difference in the HW.

I don't know what the dE number is, but it sounds like you're very happy with the uniformity -- and I'd trust you to be critical on that. Any thoughts about the Eizo that I mentioned? I figure you probably at least looked at it so I'd be curious to hear why you chose the NEC.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what the dE number is, but it sounds like you're very happy with the uniformity -- and I'd trust you to be critical on that. Any thoughts about the Eizo that I mentioned? I figure you probably at least looked at it so I'd be curious to hear why you chose the NEC.
Hi Dave:

dE is "Delta E" or a standardized error measurement for color displacements. Basically anything under 2.0 means essentially that something like 99% of the population cannot see it. 0 is theoretical perfection, but in reality anything under about 1.5 is academic...

I did consider the Eizo 30 Coloredge, but price was the killer and only reason I didn't consider it -- I could in fact buy 2 of the NEC 30" and have a few steak dinners left over. At the end of the day I chose the NEC because a few color management gurus I know use it and are very happy...

charlesphoto

Okay, you've inspired me to hit the buy button for a second monitor. The set up I'm going with is the NEC 2690WUXI2 I have now and picking up a refurb 1990SX from NEC for $300. It will be used in portrait mode for menus but can be profiled with Spectraview as well. I think a 19" on it's side will be a fairly seamless fit with the 26." It's non-cinema format which I think will actually be better for menus.

FYI they have the 2690WUXI2 for $759 refurb, a great price ($1200 new). Tempted to just pick up a second one but my desk space just won't allow for it.

These NEC monitors are great. And like Jack, I considered the EIZO but just couldn't justify the slight increase in iq vs the huge leap in price.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Charles,
That NEC option for menus sounds great for the 26! Unfortunately for the 30" it's only 1280 on the long side, so a little too shy of the 1600 vertical on the 30 and why I went with a 1080P... Wish there was a 1600x1280 monitor, would be perfect for 30" menus!

We were considering the $2,700 FlexScan SX3031W - the Coloredge is just too pricey. The DUE(Display Uniformity Equalizer) sounds a lot like the NEC "Uniformity" feature. In fact, this monitor and the NEC that you bought seem pretty much equivalent on paper -- is there a reason you passed over the FlexScan? Would it be too much to ask your guru friends for a quick comparative assessment, if they have any experience with the FlexScan?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Dave,

The two gurus I talked to both bought the NEC after test-driving the Coloredge -- not sure they even considered the Flexscan line, sorry...

Don Libby

I'm currently sitting in front of two Dell monitors (2405FPW & 2407WFP) along with a Wacom Cintiq 12WX and a 32" flat screen TV all hooked to dual NVIDA video cards that date back to 2007.

The 2405 is my main screen while I keep the desktop and tools on the 2407. I used to calibrate both monitors until I noticed that I was doing the bulk of my color work on the 2405. I use the 12WX to run the internet as well as the real purpose - fine adjustments to an image. The 32" is used to run final test on DVDs for fit and general style.

I'm in the process of looking for a replacement for the 2405 and will go to a 30" as well. Right now and only because I've had such great luck with the Dell monitors I'm leaning towards the 3008WFP Ultrasharp.

2560x1600, 3000:1, 8ms response time, 16.7 million colors; 100% color gamut and 0.250 mm pixel pitch. It's also DVI-D the same as both the 24's.

Of course there's the NEC LCD3090WQXI-BK30"

2560x1600, 1000:1, 6ms response time, 24-bit (16.7 million colors), 0.251 mm pixel pitch. DVI-D as well.

Both look good to me with the NEC being a tad more expensive. I've been using Spyder3Pro for calibration and can normally get the calibration to within less that 1% on the 2405 (and 2407 when I do it) and that's why I'm leaning towards the 3008.

Not sure if 4 active monitors qualify me as a glutton....

:D

Jack, good info... if people who care about this sort of thing are choosing the NEC over the $5K Eizo, I take that as a very good sign. Let me know if I'm overstepping here, but would it be possible for my wife to take a look? Nobody has these set up anywhere around here, it seems...

Don, I'd say stay away from the particular NEC model that you mentioned. That's the one that we tried, and came to the conclusion that it sucks too much for words...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One word of advice if you buy the NEC: get the Spectraview version with the puck! The LUT it uses is internal (12-bit per channel), and other spectros will profile your computer's video card LUT (usually 8-bit) and leave the monitor's internal LUT linear. By contrast, the Spectraview software sets the computer's video card LUT linear and sets the profile on the internal 12-bit LUT -- and this is the main reason this monitor is so widely chosen...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, good info... if people who care about this sort of thing are choosing the NEC over the $5K Eizo, I take that as a very good sign. Let me know if I'm overstepping here, but would it be possible for my wife to take a look? Nobody has these set up anywhere around here, it seems...

Don, I'd say stay away from the particular NEC model that you mentioned. That's the one that we tried, and came to the conclusion that it sucks too much for words...
Dave,

Absolutely, feel free to come by and even bring a reference image to inspect if you have one -- just call me first!

charlesphoto

Yeah, definitely get the Spectraview. One doesn't need to buy a new puck either if yours is supported, just the software. I have an old Monaco X-Rite puck that I can't even get updated Leopard software for but it works great with the NEC. Maybe not as good as their dedicated puck but close enough for my needs.

Thanks Jack -- I received your PM as well. We're not in a big hurry -- she's very pragmatic about waiting till we have the money, but that won't be long. Actually we have the money, but she wants to wait until we have THE money -- from Uncle Scam. :)

Just to be sure we're on the same page -- you bought this one, correct?

Don Libby

In my case I decided on getting the Dell 3008WFP which arrived here late Friday afternoon. The real-estate of this monitor is amazing making the 2407 sitting next to it seem small (reminds me of when Ken stands next to me or when Jack & Guy stand next to each other :D ).

I had been using two NVIDA Quardo NVS285 graphics cards for my 2-24" monitors as well as my Wacom and 32" TV however the max resolution is "only" 1900x1200 and while the 3008 looks "okay" it really should be connected to a newer card so I've order a new NVS dual link 295 which should be here when I return from the Chiricahua National Monument.

My first impression of the monitor is very favorable and feel it will really shine once it's connected to a proper card to take advantage of the max resolution of 2560x1600.

Cheers!

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don, if you were viewing it on a single DVI output, you are going to be blown away when you get it connected to a dual DVI card!