The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adobe Photoshop CS5

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Steve,
Did you do a de-install, without deactivating first so your serial number is remembered, but be sure to remove preferences, then a re-install?
There have been a lot of issues related to preference files causing instability during the beta period.
I had a stale preferences issue as well, as hdr merge would fail. Now, after that maneuver, it is fine.
Not to say this is a specific prescription, but there can be some cs4 preferences hanging around that are inherited by cs5 but not compatible.
thanks
-bob

scatesmd

Workshop Member
Tried to do a complete un-install with revo uninstaller, but it doesn't seem to matter. I didn't turn on or install any plug-ins in the 64-bit version, but it crashes anyway (it looks like, as with CS4, there are separate 32 and 64 bit versions installed).

Thankfully, C1 5 pro looks like it works, but I think CS4 and 5 are dead. I'll follow up after I talk to tech support.

I'd be curious as to what Adobe's experience was with 64 bit Win 7 during beta testing. I'm afraid to do any more un-installs or re-installs, as I don't want to deal with Adobe for an hour re: the upgrade license again.

So far, has been a huge waste of 12 hours...

steve

fotografz

Marc, are you using it on a layered file, or the base layer before other adjustments? You want to use content-aware fill like when cloning dust or spot healing --- meaning the first steps on the base file before you start tweaking color, saturation, curves or doing output sharpening etc...

FWIW, I've found the best practice with it is to do the main lasso select and fill, then edit any residual artifacts using the content aware healing brush with a soft-ish edge. Works impressively well, even when removing objects from in front of a textured or patterned background...
Just saw this Jack. Thanks. Basically it comes down to not knowing what I'm doing ... as usual :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just saw this Jack. Thanks. Basically it comes down to not knowing what I'm doing ... as usual :ROTFL:
NP -- that's why we're all here! (And I think if we count, you're still ahead on giving me tips by about a dozen!)

jonoslack

Just for once it's delightful not to be a first adopter.
For my needs CS3 still does a grand job and it'll be some time before I feel the need to jump to CS5

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jono, three words: Content - Aware - Fill. Then three more: Faster than CS3/4.

:D

jonoslack

Jono, three words: Content - Aware - Fill. Then three more: Faster than CS3/4.

:D
:ROTFL:
Hi Jack
I've read all about Content - Aware - Fill. But the way the clone and fill tools work in Aperture means that I'm simply not interested - even in A2 the clone tool was much better than in PS - the A3 tool is splendid - whether it's better than the CS5 content aware fill I don't know - but if I don't need more why bother?

Aperture is singing for me right now - one proof is the moire shots that Tom (mpis) posted of his daughter - Aperture managed in 2 minutes what nobody else seemed to be able to deal with in C1 or PS. It may not be perfect for everything, but the workflow is fast and efficient.

CS5 would add a whole new layer to a workflow which already works . . . .

Mind you, that's what every reactionary old fool says :)

scatesmd

Workshop Member
At least on the surface, I think I have the installs working.

I spoke to Adobe and it seems at times residual files (as Bob said) and other Adobe products conflict. You have to run clean up scripts to clear out all the Adobe products, then re-install.

I'm going to try to download and install the plugins, but at least the programs appear to be running despite some persistent error messages from the installer.

Jack-do your actions work on CS5?

Thanks for your help, steve

fotografz

At least on the surface, I think I have the installs working.

I spoke to Adobe and it seems at times residual files (as Bob said) and other Adobe products conflict. You have to run clean up scripts to clear out all the Adobe products, then re-install.

I'm going to try to download and install the plugins, but at least the programs appear to be running despite some persistent error messages from the installer.

Thanks for your help, steve
My actions all work in CS5 as before. I have a zillion Adobe products on my machine including: (CS2, CS3 complete with In-Design ect., CS4, and now CS5. No bumps or hiccups.

-Marc

S

sharperimagesnow

Hi guys
Adobe Photoshop version CS5 is very important . I like its I was running the CS5 Beta. so more detail given on sharperimagesnow

fotografz

Pig.

I should talk. :D
:ROTFL:

But you know ... I have various programs that only run on specific PS versions ... like I kept one version because my Focus Magic only works on it, and then there is Define 2 which (when I last checked) didn't have the CS5 update ... etc. etc. etc.

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea CS5 needs to get it's plug ins working or I should say third party vendors need to update. I don't have any plugins actually which is weird. I use Indesign a lot but had to keep CS4 on board because printers are not ready for CS5 which is a PITA since i like the new version a lot better

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Steve,

The set from Oregon will all work, but I've done some inor revisions -- I'll email you the most current set when I'm back in my office next week so you have them for Glacier ;)

Glad you got the bugs ironed out!

Jack

Don Libby

I loaded CS5 right after I got home as well as a 15day preview of NIK Viveza 2 all 64 bit both seem to be working/playing well together.

Don

scatesmd

Workshop Member
Hi Don,

It didn't go as well for me. Viveza 2 installer and Sharpener Pro installer both failed and froze the system, although Color FX was fine. I also tried OnOne FocalPoint 2 and it crashed the system and CS5. I called the developers and both said they aren't really ready for CS5, although were OK with Win 7 64x per se. This was all in an attempt to install into the 32x CS5.

I'm still not fully trusting CS5, as the installer failed to work 3x, but it seems to be running now if I avoid the above plugins.

Thanks, steve

David K

Workshop Member
Viveza 2 is not working for me either despite having deleted duplicate Ariel fonts from Font Book (as they recommend). In a recent conversation with their support department they suggested logging on as a new user with admin privileges. This is not the first time this suggestion has been made to me...had the same problem with ImagePrint 7 which got resolved this way. Apparently there are certain parameters contained in user account which can cause problems. This solution did not work for me with Viveza 2 but the support gal said it had resolved the same issue for many others. Thought I'd pass it along FWIW. BTW, I am having the same problem with Viveza 2 in LR 2.7.