The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Found a Great BackUp FREE software...

M5-Guy

I have new laptop and I had a 1tb external HD from my last Laptop, and bought a new 500gig External HD.
The Idea behind just getting a 500gig was to use it for the "My Doc" and My Photo" folders... Now, I use the 1tb as regular drive to off load all my images from my camera, and any negatives I scan. I have a 500gig HD in my laptop with a 2 partitions, (factory set) 60gig = OS, 400gig = Local drive (where all my software gets installed). I don't off load any photos or scans to the built in HD. Only Software is on it...nothing else.

So, I basically copy all the files from the 1tb to the 500gig.. Now, I realize, that 500 is 1/2 of 1000.....But, I am not backing any of my Laptop HD on this, just the folders with My Docs and My Photos...I will, when, the 1tb gets full get close to 400gigs of stuff, get a 1tb to replace the 500gig.

The software is called "SyncBack" and what I do is use the "Sync" feature to copy only files folders I choose. And it will check BOTH drives to make sure they are identical. If I am copying files from the source or destination HD, it copy those files to which other HD does not have it. Why have this feature? Well, If I load or edit any file on the Backup drive by mistake, when I run Syncbank, it will copy the edited files to my main 1tb HD. So. my mistake is corrected, and both HD are equal again. Plus, when I run it, it only copies new files to the backup drive, from that point on. It even copies my ACDSee Database files made during editing. Similar to way LR edits files. No Original is really edited, but the changes are in a file that saves the edit setting for that file. So two files are opened for any pre-edited file.

Just thought I'd share this, for those looking for a free Backup utility that doesn't have to do a complete backup..
BTW, It does NOT compress any file on the backup, so they are perfectly usable without any "recovery" routine. A big Plus IMO.

raywest

+1

I've used SyncBack for a year or two - the free version does everything I want, and more. You can download it from http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html (windows only). I use it to copy folders to different drives across the network, it's very easy to use, copying can be scheduled, it produces an error log (the freeware version does not copy running system files, but that is unimportant in this case). It does exactly what it says on the tin.

Best wishes,

Ray