Site Sponsors

Thread: your opinion please

Jamesmd

your opinion please

Hi , these 2 are processed with aperture the first starting with boost at default and second with boost at 0 .

I think results more natural without boost and you have more control on everything

What do you think?
    Does anyone else 0 boost ?

Thanks
    sony A900 aperture boost at default

sony A900 aperture boost at 0

Post Thanks / Like

Re: your opinion please

James, FWIW I always have the default decode settings in the raw brick set to 0. It may take a little more work to develop the image with the other bricks. My reason for this is I want as close to native raw as possible before I begin my adjustments, not what Apple think a good starting point is.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Jamesmd

Yes sir , that's what I think , and I usually never go over 70 +- after adjusting , but Hue boost I always leave at 0.

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not an Aperture user but when looking at your two samples next to each other the second one feels more natural, if that's the look you want. Greens are too dark on the first one, in relation to the flowers.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Not an Aperture user but when looking at your two samples next to each other the second one feels more natural, if that's the look you want. Greens are too dark on the first one, in relation to the flowers.
    +1
    #2 looks more natural too. BUT, if you opened up the mid-tones in #1, maybe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like #2 too. The greens are more natural and more open, yet the background isn't as washed out.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Jamesmd

Thanks all ,

yes , what I would say that happens if you start with boost at default (1), is that your highlights detail is lost , and mid tones are like compresed .So you start with many adjusments that probably aren't necesary .

For what I read , boost ads a specific contrast curve for the camera you are using, and hue boost at 0 , not at 1 , preserves de color as on raw.
    So it looks like the best way to go is star with boost at 0 and adjust as needed and I would leave hue boost at 0

I imagine it's something like starting with linear in C1 instead of film or what ever ? No ?