The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

your opinion please

J

Jamesmd

Hi , these 2 are processed with aperture the first starting with boost at default and second with boost at 0 .

I think results more natural without boost and you have more control on everything

What do you think?
Does anyone else 0 boost ?

Thanks
sony A900 aperture boost at default

sony A900 aperture boost at 0

Eoin

James, FWIW I always have the default decode settings in the raw brick set to 0. It may take a little more work to develop the image with the other bricks. My reason for this is I want as close to native raw as possible before I begin my adjustments, not what Apple think a good starting point is.

J

Jamesmd

Yes sir , that's what I think , and I usually never go over 70 +- after adjusting , but Hue boost I always leave at 0.

James

Lars

Not an Aperture user but when looking at your two samples next to each other the second one feels more natural, if that's the look you want. Greens are too dark on the first one, in relation to the flowers.

M5-Guy

Not an Aperture user but when looking at your two samples next to each other the second one feels more natural, if that's the look you want. Greens are too dark on the first one, in relation to the flowers.
+1
#2 looks more natural too. BUT, if you opened up the mid-tones in #1, maybe

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I like #2 too. The greens are more natural and more open, yet the background isn't as washed out.

J

Jamesmd

Thanks all ,

yes , what I would say that happens if you start with boost at default (1), is that your highlights detail is lost , and mid tones are like compresed .So you start with many adjusments that probably aren't necesary .

For what I read , boost ads a specific contrast curve for the camera you are using, and hue boost at 0 , not at 1 , preserves de color as on raw.
So it looks like the best way to go is star with boost at 0 and adjust as needed and I would leave hue boost at 0

I imagine it's something like starting with linear in C1 instead of film or what ever ? No ?