The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A new raw processor/darkroom programme ( for me)

PeterA

The Canon 10D got me back into photography mated to Adobe7 ( back then )...
Upgrades to Ids,1Dmk11, Idsmk11 almost went hand in hand with upgrades to Photoshop - now CS3 and Lightroom. ( I think Aperture is expensive junkware even though I use very high end macs). A brief flirtation with Capture One, various Rips ( Imageprint ) ( I wont go into printer sagas here)and various plug ins merely underline the fact that my background in photography BEGAN in a real darkroom years before I even made a shot on a camera for myself. The darkroom and the print was and still remains the most fun for me.

Today I shoot with Canon/H1/Alpa and M8 and soon (hopefully R9/DMR again)and shoot and process B&W film on a Leica MP/H1- . I use a Leaf Aptus 75 MFDB on H1 and Alpa.

I am pleased with the glass I own - I love glass, !!! a camera to me is just something that holds the glass properly so as to be able to expose on film/digiback.so I ALWAYS looking for teh best glass...

Here is the rub. If the digital darkroom is my happy place where play with my images and fix them and print them. I think Photoshop is a fantastic darkroom - combined with Lightroom I am very happy.

BUT

1. CS3 in many ways has become overkill - the only new improvements in CS3 that I use that are cool additions are the autoblend and panorama stitching capabilities .
2. I have noted that over the last few 'upgrades' Photoshop hasn't really added much of great use to me.
3. I would say that I might use 10% of the programe's capabilities - but that is all I need. and now Lightroom in many ways has made much of photoshop redundant.

but I have NEVER been really really happy with photoshop - it is essentially CLUNKY from a photographer's point of view - i know this may sound like heresy - but, well ..to me thats how it is.

So when ( by accident) I stumbled across this new program - I gave it half an hour's attention - most programs promise a lot and deliver nothing much and certainly not better than photoshop.

Lightzone is a digital darkroom program which does two things VERY well - much better than Photoshop.

1. It allows for EASY selections; and
2. Its primary tool is based on Zone mapping ala traditional darkroom work.
the program does a lot of other things very well - but these two things make it in my book a compulsory addition to photoshop.

CHECK it OUT - you will love it.

*No I dont have any shares in the company! -:)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Peter, I for one am very interested in the above post of yours, but there is an ongoing thread exactly about comparing RAW converters plus some of the additional darkroom programs.
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124
I would be grateful if you would join that discussion and maybe show us some examples of your results with LightZone.