Site Sponsors

Thread: A new raw processor/darkroom programme ( for me)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A new raw processor/darkroom programme ( for me)

The Canon 10D got me back into photography mated to Adobe7 ( back then )...
    Upgrades to Ids,1Dmk11, Idsmk11 almost went hand in hand with upgrades to Photoshop - now CS3 and Lightroom. ( I think Aperture is expensive junkware even though I use very high end macs). A brief flirtation with Capture One, various Rips ( Imageprint ) ( I wont go into printer sagas here)and various plug ins merely underline the fact that my background in photography BEGAN in a real darkroom years before I even made a shot on a camera for myself. The darkroom and the print was and still remains the most fun for me.

Today I shoot with Canon/H1/Alpa and M8 and soon (hopefully R9/DMR again)and shoot and process B&W film on a Leica MP/H1- . I use a Leaf Aptus 75 MFDB on H1 and Alpa.

I am pleased with the glass I own - I love glass, !!! a camera to me is just something that holds the glass properly so as to be able to expose on film/digiback.so I ALWAYS looking for teh best glass...

Here is the rub. If the digital darkroom is my happy place where play with my images and fix them and print them. I think Photoshop is a fantastic darkroom - combined with Lightroom I am very happy.

BUT

1. CS3 in many ways has become overkill - the only new improvements in CS3 that I use that are cool additions are the autoblend and panorama stitching capabilities .
    2. I have noted that over the last few 'upgrades' Photoshop hasn't really added much of great use to me.
    3. I would say that I might use 10% of the programe's capabilities - but that is all I need. and now Lightroom in many ways has made much of photoshop redundant.

but I have NEVER been really really happy with photoshop - it is essentially CLUNKY from a photographer's point of view - i know this may sound like heresy - but, well ..to me thats how it is.

So when ( by accident) I stumbled across this new program - I gave it half an hour's attention - most programs promise a lot and deliver nothing much and certainly not better than photoshop.

Lightzone is a digital darkroom program which does two things VERY well - much better than Photoshop.

1. It allows for EASY selections; and
    2. Its primary tool is based on Zone mapping ala traditional darkroom work.
    the program does a lot of other things very well - but these two things make it in my book a compulsory addition to photoshop.

CHECK it OUT - you will love it.

*No I dont have any shares in the company! -

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A new raw processor/darkroom programme ( for me)

thread shoudl probably be deleted?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, I for one am very interested in the above post of yours, but there is an ongoing thread exactly about comparing RAW converters plus some of the additional darkroom programs.
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124
    I would be grateful if you would join that discussion and maybe show us some examples of your results with LightZone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some other discussion on this thread too: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."