The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How do you organize your images?

sagar

Let's see, what are the different ways to organize your images :D Please share your folder structure/setup on how you organize your images

jonoslack

I use Aperture, but I reference files rather than importing them into the Aperture Library.
Within Aperture I have a new project relating to each sub-folder of the referenced files. Structure is very simple:

External firewire drive
..Aperture (folder name)
....2009 (sub folder)
........2009 01 Suffolk (sub sub folder)
........2009 01 Cornwall
........2009 02 Suffolk
........2009 02 La Rosiere
........2009 03 Suffolk
........etc. etc.
........2010 01 Suffolk
........2010 01 Cornwall
........2010 02 La Rosiere
........2010 02 Lucys Wedding

Where 2010 = year 01 = month
That way if you sort the 2010 directory by name then it comes out in the correct order. it makes stuff easy to find as well.

Last edited:

sagar

Thanks, my images organization has gone for a toss, so looking for feedback on how images are organized.

Other folks, please share your organization too

JanRSmit

Thanks, my images organization has gone for a toss, so looking for feedback on how images are organized.

Other folks, please share your organization too
I use Lightroom nowadays. I used to use iMatch, but went for LR because of its virtual copy capabilities, as well as its integrated and non-destructive editing of images.

My workflow is described in a paper, see my website www.fromklicktokick.com

In essence my image organisation is a combined physical and logical approach.
Physically, images are stored on an assignment basis. Primary role is to prevent being overwritten by another file with the same name, to be put offline as a whole, as well as to easily backup and restore to prevent fatal loss.
Logical organisation is entirely within LR, using its metadata and keywording, grouping into collections, especially smart collections.

Last edited:

M5-Guy

I just started using the catalog system in ACDsee Pro 3. I do name my folders to give me a clue....
Pioneer Pk 5-2010 for example. Inside I have 3 more visible folders, and ACDsee makes 2 hidden folders "Original" and "Data" (contains the post adj applied to the working file that it makes)

The 1st Sub Folder I make is for all finished files
...."PP TIFFs" This are "saved as" files from the original scanned TIFFs.
Than I have 2 more sub folders
...."PP JPGs Conversions" The 3rd is
........"PP TMNs JPGs" (TMNs = Thumbnails)

It is the protocol for Digital files too. Except I generally don't shoot RAW (DNG, PEF), I shoot JPG at the Highest IQ setting)

I have realized that if I am find these files in the future, I had to at least put them catalogs that made sense to me.

Last edited:

ReeRay

Wasn't iView Media Pro the original version for Macs?

I'd be interested to hear of users opinions on a Mac as against (say) Lightroom.