The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LR 3 NEW RELEASE: WARNING!

fotografz

If you have been working with LR3 Beta and have a current job on it ...

ASSUME NOTHING!

While the upgrade to LR3 did transfer my LR2 Catalogs with all corrections intact ... it did NOT transfer the one I currently have (or had) on LR3 Beta ... :eek:

PLUS, LR3 Beta closes out and expires when you upgrade, so you cannot revert to LR 3 Beta to retrieve previous corrections or finish the job.

It may be an anomaly, or I may have done something wrong somewhere, but the LR3 Beta back-up catalog is gone. No search works, and when I finally found the back-up catalog with the right date, there were no photos in it.

Oddly, all of the Photoshop tiff corrections from this job were intact (edit-tiffs) in the original RAW folder ... but none of the LR adjustments were there ... nor any of the Quick Collection filters. :wtf:

If there was a warning about this, I missed it.

I'd recommend finishing any job on LR 3 Beta and saving it out prior to upgrading ... or make darned sure there is an intact back-up off line.

:cussing:

-Marc

P.s., if there is some insight I missed please do share it :eek:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Marc,

I just upgraded and the options were new LR 3 catalog or update older LR2 catalog. No option to open or update LR3Beta catalog...however I assume that if you did not install LR3 in the same location ...ie catalog location the older LR3Beta catalog still exists.

It has the same name as a LR3 catalog and will probably open in LR3. If installed in the same location it was overwritten....do you have a Time Capsule backup recent enough to restore it to another folder and then point LR3 to it?

Hope this is of some help. Thanks for the headsup on their oversight.

Bob

I haven´t tried it, and anyhow it´s a bit late for you... Anyhow: what would happen if one

1) in the beta, selected ALL images and then "export as catalogue".

2) installed LR 3 and let it convert the LR 2 catalogue.

3) imported the catalogue exported in the first step.

In a perfect world, it seems you would now have a merge of the old LR 2 and beta catalogues, all working in LR 3.

If not, well Adobe DID warn about the risk of losing work done in beta versions....

Diane B

They (LR developers) did say to not do any important work in beta 3 (being a beta) and there were a lot of suggestions to create a different folder/library. I bet a lot of people didn't see these warnings or just glanced over them. It was the same with beta 2. The upgrade will be to the current full version.

I did use the beta quite a bit so will have to think what I will do before I install 3 as I'd prefer to use the beta's processing but I do have different folders/libraries for both. I would import to 2.6 and copy some over to the folder I had for the beta.

Godfrey

NEVER USE BETA SOFTWARE FOR PRODUCTION WORK.
READ ALL DOCUMENTATION WHEN YOU DO USE BETA SOFTWARE.

These are such fundamental rules of sensible computer usage, it's hard to believe one even has to write them.

fotografz

No problem here. LR3 beta still works even after installing LR3. Merging my LR3 and Lr2 catalogs now. I'm on a Mac.
:wtf:

I did not discard LR3 Beta ... but when I went to open it from my applications folder, it said it had expired and was closing. I'm on a Mac also.

Did you load LR3 onto a different space than 3 Beta?

What the hell!

-Marc

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Marc I may need to look closer but it appears mine worked ok. The only problem I had when I was trying to merge updated LR 2 catalog and LR 3 beta catalog in LR 3. They wouldn't merge do to error, it didn't elaborate. But when I load the 3 beta catalog into LR 3 all my edits are there and my Beta version still works too (I put it into the trash). I'm using a mac and all of my catalogs (4) are in pictures / Lightroom.

billbunton

Subscriber Member
Well, FWIW, when given the option to upgrade my LR2 catalog, I instead clicked on the "browse for other catalogs" button. I found my LR3 beta catalog, selected it, and am happily continuing on with no problems (so far at least, knock on wood :). No conversion involved, it simply opened the catalog and showed me the images that were selected when I shut LR3beta down.

charlesphoto

Yeah, my merge didn't work either (well only partially). Frustrating. Looks like some of my old ratings showed up and others didn't. This is probably LR's weakest link. They really shouldn't release unless they can guarantee old work will transfer over easily.

Diane B

The LR 2 should upgrade fine. They really were pretty clear that the beta would expire when the final version came out and would not upgrade. For all of us that have now gone through 3 betas with Lightroom I think we were delighted that we were able to have input into the final version. That was the point of the public beta.

I'm sorry for anyone that has lost all their processing but beta should have been warning enough to not use it for production work.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Does anyone know for a fact that the catalogs created in the LR3 beta can not be converted to the new version of LR3. For me its not the end of the world to reprocess some shoots , but is it necessary .

When Lr2 came I out I am pretty sure we were able to convert the beta created catalogs when establishing the new Lr2 environment.

docmoore

Does anyone know for a fact that the catalogs created in the LR3 beta can not be converted to the new version of LR3. For me its not the end of the world to reprocess some shoots , but is it necessary .

When Lr2 came I out I am pretty sure we were able to convert the beta created catalogs when establishing the new Lr2 environment.
I think as I said above that it is not necessary to convert....just direct lightroom to the catalog and open?

Bob

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I think as I said above that it is not necessary to convert....just direct lightroom to the catalog and open?

Bob
Thanks Bob ..obviously I missed this. There is a way to merge the two catalogs? Lr2 legacy converted to Lr3 ..and .....Lr3Beta ?

docmoore

Use Import from Catalog in LR3...navigate to LR2 catalog and you will be prompted to allow upgrade to LR3 form with 1) import then save upgraded catalog or 2)import then delete upgraded catalog as it has merged.

Bob

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Use Import from Catalog in LR3...navigate to LR2 catalog and you will be prompted to allow upgrade to LR3 form with 1) import then save upgraded catalog or 2)import then delete upgraded catalog as it has merged.

Bob
Bob Just to close this off (and thanks ) assume that you have opened Lr3 using the Lr3beta catalog? (since these are same format Lr3 just views it as "the Lr3" catalog?).

Then in a separate action use the IMPORT form catalog and select the 2nd option above.

This will upgrade and merge your Lr2 catalog with the Lr3 catalog.

Is this correct?

Roger

docmoore

Bob Just to close this off (and thanks ) assume that you have opened Lr3 using the Lr3beta catalog? (since these are same format Lr3 just views it as "the Lr3" catalog?).

Then in a separate action use the IMPORT form catalog and select the 2nd option above.

This will upgrade and merge your Lr2 catalog with the Lr3 catalog.

Is this correct?

Roger

I have not done this but will assume it is the correct approach.

I tend to archive rather severely...can never find the old pics I want without a bit of a struggle! So I just build new catalogs and update 1:1 previews at night in order to get just the catalog I want that is active.

Bob

Well, FWIW, when given the option to upgrade my LR2 catalog, I instead clicked on the "browse for other catalogs" button. I found my LR3 beta catalog, selected it, and am happily continuing on with no problems (so far at least, knock on wood :). No conversion involved, it simply opened the catalog and showed me the images that were selected when I shut LR3beta down.
This was essentially the process that I followed, but additionally I imported my LR2 catalogs.

One other thing worth noting... in both LR2 and LR3 I had been automatically saving to XMP sidecar files. I have seen no mention of this option in the thread above.

It might be interesting to take a straw poll here:

Did you have a problem moving to LR3? Y/N
Were you saving out XMPs for all files? Y/N