Site Sponsors

Thread: Capture One 5.1.2 released

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Capture One 5.1.2 released

Capture One 5.1.2 has been released with enhancements mainly for Leaf cameras, Windows 64 bit drivers, and some limited but welcomed integration with Expression Media (recently acquired by Phase One).

Future versions of Capture One will surely further increase support and integration with Expression media; this update comes only days after the purchase of Expression media by Phase One, so seeing any results this fast is surprising and very welcome.

Capture Integration will be testing this new version of Capture One. Until then we recommend customers follow the same general advice as always. If you are a professional photographer depending on your computer as a tool to accomplish his work that you should not update their software or operating-system until:
    - the update has been out long enough to give a sense of whether it contains any nasty bugs that would slow down your workflow, waste your time, or worse.
    - you have time to make a complete bootable backup of your system in case you need it
    - you have time to do a complete test of anything critical you do on your computer (tethering, processing, retouching, printing etc)

Also, we recommend you follow our <a href="http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/11/20/uninstalling-capture-one-4-on-mac/">Capture One Uninstall Instructions</a> to remove any previous version of Capture One from your computer before updating to a new version (rather than simply overwriting the previous version).

From the release notes:

Capture One 5.1.2 contains the following enhancements:
    - Updated firmware for Leaf backs (compatible with Leaf Capture 11.3.5).
    - Tethered support and file support for the Leaf Aptus-II 10R.
    - JPEG Quickproof® support on Windows.
    - More stable tethering driver for Windows 64 bit.
    - QuickLook and WIC support for Leaf MOS files.
    - A number of bug fixes.
    Expression Media support:
    - Easily add a selection of images to an Expression Media catalog.
    - Preview images in Expression Media using Capture One’s default rendering.
    - Transfer rating and color tag between applications by drag and dropping images.
    - Create an album with images found by searching in Expression Media.

When we've tested and approved the new version we'll make a note of it on our website.

You can always use this link to buy Capture One from Capture Integration at a 10% discount.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off
    Personal Work
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 10th June 2010 at 08:46.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Capture One 5.1.2 released

Loaded seems okay so far
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Doug

Any further thoughts?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ReeRay View Post
    Doug

Any further thoughts?
    Not yet. We've been pretty swamped and haven't fully evaluated it yet. No signs of trouble but also not enough data for me to be confident in recommending.

The stated changes/fixes are very specific Expression Media and Leaf users. If you aren't one of the above then I see no reason to move from the highly-vetted 5.1.1.

That said there are often a couple fixes and improvements that aren't specifically documented even for us dealers which is one reason why we try to take the time to go through each new release.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off
    Personal Work

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a Leaf user but I am keen to evaluate the potential of C1 and Expression Media as a combined DAM system. I haven't as yet downloaded either and wonder if I might experience problems by proceeding?

Thoughts anyone.

p.s. running Mac OS X 10.5.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been using it on both systems (Mac Pro and MacBook Pro) for a week and no issues. Actually seems more stable on my big system. I had it, CS5 AND AutoPano Giga all open and running all day yesterday. My system monitor showed I was using nearly all of my installed 24G ram most of that time, yet nothing crashed.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I've been using it on both systems (Mac Pro and MacBook Pro) for a week and no issues. Actually seems more stable on my big system. I had it, CS5 AND AutoPano Giga all open and running all day yesterday. My system monitor showed I was using nearly all of my installed 24G ram most of that time, yet nothing crashed.
    But half of your neighborhood was on brownout?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, but it was actually the first time in three years I noticed the exhaust fan kicked up a gear!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

nevillemartin11

I have read all the description regarding 5.1.2 . I want to know more about its tools for get epic images. I wish that I will get more information for it as soon as far. It is interesting that It would be also support on the JPEG file format.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe you should watch some of the tutorials, they are very good in showing the potential of C1 5.x pro.

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Software/...Tutorials.aspx

Cheers, -Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nevillemartin11 View Post
    I have read all the description regarding 5.1.2 . I want to know more about its tools for get epic images. I wish that I will get more information for it as soon as far. It is interesting that It would be also support on the JPEG file format.
    Hi Neville

Luminous Landscape has a very good 26 chapter Capture One tutorial for about $50. I have downloaded and viewed it. It's a good starting on learning the program. C1 is a very rich environment with a lot of subtle things to learn but there is not a lot of training for it, not even a good book.

Hope this helps
    Paul

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree with Paul - although I've used C1 for quite some time, I learned several good things from the LL video tutorial. I recommend it.
    Bii

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

as to stability of updates...
    meanwhile I think the basics are solid so I just update (I have a backup of my HD anyway). If there would be any bugs I simply would revert to the prior version. But no trouble so far...
    Exception: if there are new tools intoduced in an update I first run some tests in how far the addition of new tools cause trouble with older settings (image settings or worspace settings).

the LuLa video is great - highly recommended!