The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture doesn't see all my files

David K

Workshop Member
Just came across something kind of weird with Aperture. Went to import a group of DNG files that I took a while back and when I pointed the program at the folder it seemed to me that quite a few images were missing. After checking the folder in finder... sure enough, Aperture wasn't seeing half the files. Tried copying all the files to another folder and pointing Aperture to that one... same thing. Opened LR and pointed it to the same folder and all the images are there. What's up with this. Frankly, if Aperture had seen all but a few of the images I wouldn't even have noticed that they weren't all being imported. This is worse than the program not seeing any of the files... at least then you know for sure your import won't work. Really strange...

robsteve

Subscriber
Did the DNG files get modified or converted in some way? With some of the RAW converters, they don't actually support the true DNG specification, just some of the files that are coming out of cameras they already support. If you then take one of these supported DNG files and do something to it that changes it to a normal DNG file, such as processing it through Lightroom or the Adobe DNG converter, it will change the file and break it for use in some non-Adobe programs. For example, in Lightroom, if you choose import as DNG (even with a camera shooting DNG) it may import and use a lossless compression on the file.

In the case of the Leica DMR and M8 files, a DNG that has been altered will usually be a different file size than the one that comes straight out of the camera, usually smaller.

Robert

David K

Workshop Member
Rob,
That's probably it since these were DMR files to begin with and I don't think Aperture supports those without that DMR2M8 conversion. Still, it sure had me scratching my head wondering what happened to all the other files in that folder. Even if they showed up as blacked out "unsupported format" images, at least you would know you were missing something.

fotografz

Rob,
That's probably it since these were DMR files to begin with and I don't think Aperture supports those without that DMR2M8 conversion. Still, it sure had me scratching my head wondering what happened to all the other files in that folder. Even if they showed up as blacked out "unsupported format" images, at least you would know you were missing something.
David, what is DMR2M8 conversion?

I just loaded Aperture yesterday because it now supports Hasselblad 3Fs.