The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A good article on the "new" Mac Pros -- and unfortunately, all too accurate...

jsf

Re: A good article on the "new" Mac Pros -- and unfortunately, all too accurate...

I, after buying CS5 realized that my perfectly good computer was not going to handle what CS5 could do, so I looked at everything including the latest Mac Pro. I found I could have a computer built with the i7-860 core and a 1 Gb video card and 8Gb of RAM with another 8 Gb possible, considerably cheaper than a Mac Pro(the system, delivered was $2,500, if you have priced the basic Mac Pro you know that it is another $500 before adding the better hardware) . Windows 7, 64 bits is fast, I like to work with a partitioned system, Linux for internet and Windows for programs, it might sound awkward but it works well for me. Besides CS5 was made for multi-threading, when working with a file even as large as 2Gb the slowest application is about one minute, the reality is most of my files are only 200Mb and there are only a few commands that take as long as 15 seconds, most of the commands are simply instantaneous. Some take a few seconds, I think that Mac has dropped a step in the industry and the PC has been pushed ahead. Joe