Site Sponsors

Thread: Photoshop actions

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photoshop actions

Cam brought up this guy ( http://www.jeffascough.net/webactions/index.html ) for some nice B&W conversion actions in PS. I'm going to be doing some B&W conversions in the near future ( M8 files). Are there others who sell these actions and which in your opinion has the best B&W conversion?
    Mike

website under construction

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Photoshop actions

Mike,
    There is a set of B/W conversion actions published in the May/June 2008 edition of Digital Photo Pro magazine. There is an article written by Dave Willis titled "Hardly Black & White", pages 94-99. Unfortunately, that article is not published in the online version of the magazine.

It is worth looking at, as it outlines a very detailed PS Action created by Greg Gorman and Mac Holbert, with the added discussion from John Paul Caponigro. These are among the present masters of B/W conversion techniques today. The entire Action is outlined step-by-step, and it a bit involved (32 steps), but once created, it pretty much automates a very high quality B/W conversion that also has the ability to make tweaks along the way to suit your individual tastes.

It is worth the look if you are near a bookstore that carries the mag.

LJ
    Last edited by LJL; 14th May 2008 at 11:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm headed to the bookstore.
    Mike

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Mike,
    Let me know if that bookstore was a Barnes & Noble or Borders. I'm headed to San Juan right now and it isn't standard airport reading material. I will pick it up when I get back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mike,

there's also Alien Skin Exposure 2 which is probably my favourite (Layers instead of Actions so you can always do multiples), but it's even more pricey. you can demo it to get a good taste of the power. you can get the tonalities and curves of various films (with or without the grain) and tweak any of them to suit your needs. it's probably one of the best ways to see what will suit your individual photo since all are different.... it really depends on how involved you want to get and what you're willing to invest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry I got it tonight at Books a Million. I'll bet Borders and the other chains have it as well. Don't mistake it for Digital Photo its "Digital Photo Pro".....good article.

Cam I thinking of that as well....a lot of people talk highly of it.
    Mike

Steve

you can get Greg Gormans action on his website without buying the magazine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    you can get Greg Gormans action on his website without buying the magazine.
    Good find, Steve. I had forgotten to check his site. For interested folks, here is the link:
    http://www.gormanphotography.com/bw_conversion.pdf

Not pushing the Digital Photo Pro magazine, but it does offer a bit more in the article for folks to consider. Either way, I do think we all benefit

LJ