The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phocus not showing 3fr files

Hey Guys,
First time really working in Phocus with my new camera and I cant seem to get new captures in 3fr format to show up in the viewer, it will show cr2 raws etc which I find odd, any help would be great, at the moment I have to import the files to another file in Tiff format to work on them.

Cheers
Will.

Leigh

I cant seem to get new captures in 3fr format to show up in the viewer...
Hi Will,

You won't. As soon as you import the 3fr, Phocus converts it and from then on you're working with TIFs (using all the information from the 3fr files). The 3fr files are on the memory card, but if you import from the camera you'll never see them.

I prefer to download the 3fr files to a directory in a dedicated raw file tree. I put the CF card from the camera in a reader and do a direct file transfer, then mark the transferred files as Read Only so they can't be changed or erased.

Import those files into Phocus by clicking on that directory. Process and save them as desired from that point. Use an export directory that's different from the 3fr directory.

One additional point with Phocus...
Always click Image->Save Adjustments when you're done massaging a file, or preferably set Automatic Save in the options. If you do neither, you'll lose your edits when you switch files in the viewer pane. Phocus creates a sidecar file (filename.phos) for each edited file. You must tell it to write that file.

Hope this helps.

- Leigh

Last edited: