The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Color Calibration - MacBook Pro & Cintiq 12WX

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm running with a MBP 17in & Cintiq 12WX on the road at the moment and I'm running into some issues with color management between the two displays. Generally laptop displays suck at the best of times but I'm trying to get something neutral across both the laptop and the Cintiq 12WX.

Here's the problem: I calibrate the MBP and it seems ok. I pick D65 as the white reference. I then calibrate the Cintiq after reseting it back to default settings again with D65. However, when I compare the screens side by side with the same image in Photoshop, Capture One Pro, Capture NX2 etc, there is a very distinctive difference in the color between the two screens, despite calibrating at the same time with the same Colormunki colorimeter. The MBP seems to be cooler than the Cintiq 12WX which surely shouldn't be happening if the colorimeter is the thing measuring and building an ICC profile for both displays.

The laptop and 12WX displays are at the same angle for the comparison and perpendicular to my point of view.

It's somewhat frustrating because I posted a jpg image earlier (8 bit, sRGB conversion from ProPhotoRGB working space) that has a distinctive yellow/orange cast that doesn't show that way when I created it on the MBP. However, by comparison the Cintiq image was even more saturated & redder than than either the MBP or another calibrated MBAir that I used to view sRGB via the web.

Any thoughts or advice?

Btw, workflow is RAW into C1 Pro, TIFF 16bit ProPhoto RGB -> PS. Image out is -> 8bit/convert to sRGB -> jpg.

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
First thing I would try id to use native white points on both displays to see if you can get closer.
The backlights on these lcd displays are different technologies, and getting a LUT to force them to be the same may introduce odd results.
Also make sure that you are using a type 2 profile. There have been reports of issues with type 4 profiles before Snowleopard 10.6.4. Check also if both displays change a bit when one is set.
Are you running both at the same time while you profile?
-bob

GrahamWelland

I'm running OS X 10.6.4 with all updates etc.
Both displays are being profiled at the same time.
I did try using native on the Cintiq, but not both. I can certainly try that and see if that helps.
As regards the type 2 vs type 4, I confess that I really wouldn't know. I'll go google ... but maybe you can explain?

Thanks Bob.

GrahamWelland

Thanks - I think it's my MBP that's not quite correct. I'll give it a complete work over again when I'm back on Monday.

I have the same setup at home with my MacPro & Apple 30" cinema, Lacie monitor and a 21" Cintiq. No such calibration differences with those which I also use the ColorMunki to profile. I'm sure I'm messing something up with the MBP.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I use a MBP with an external monitor, but with the lid closed. I am not sure that the graphics chip on the MBP is as sophisticated as the MP graphics board in handling multiple LUTS.
I have found on my MP an issue with getting a mid gray on both a NEC wide gamut monitor and a 24 inch Apple LED monitor. Normally calibrated, the monitors have a mean color cast one to the other. hard to say which one is really right, since looking at either for awhile makes it look ok.
For the most part, the problem was more or less resolved by going with the native whitepoint on the Apple LED display.
I use the NEC wide gamut display for my reference while editing.
-bob