The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Aperture installation problems

PeterA

Weird thing I bought a copy of Aperture 2 today and I dont get the registration page come up during installation. When I try and start programme - the version comes up as a Trial ( which I had a while back and ran out of time). The programme then quickly aborts from the start page before it loads..

What to do? I have cleaned up all copies of Aperture and tried re installing 3 times..same result.

any clues as to what is going on?

Pete

Dale Allyn

Pete,

Can you register after it loads via the Help menu? Or are you saying that it does not even load as a demo? I'm not using Aperture, so can't say if there is a registration option there, but it might be worth a look.

Otherwise, when you removed all older copies of Aperture, did you also go to Receipts and remove the older Aperture Packages before the new install?

Last thought: is there a custom install option which offers "Uninstall"? This is usually offered as a "custom option" so you'd click on "Custom Install" if it's available. If so, you might run that before installing again. Or if you have the original .dmg of the demo, there may be an Uninstaller in it for your demo version (same location). Some apps delete everything when the app is trashed and some leave bits behind. Not sure about Aperture's behavior in this respect.

You may have to look in both your main Library and the User Library depending on how it was installed. I would look in the Preferences folders of each location as well (inside the Library folder).

Sorry for only offering generic guesses. I'm not using Aperture, but am a long-time Mac user, so just hoping to help you stumble on to a solution.

David K

Workshop Member
I had no problems installing mine (I'm sure that makes you feel better) but a quick google search turned up this advice. Also, you might want to make sure you're logged on as an Admin...

reinstall aperture ...

first removing all the following:

drag the app to the trash ...

delete the following folders and files ...

~\Library\Preferences\com.apple.Aperture.plist
~\Library\Caches\Aperture
~\Library\Application Support\Aperture
\Library\Application Support\ProApps\Aperture System ID

also see here:

http://blogs.oreilly.com/aperture/2008/01/a-fresh-start-with-aperture.html

Dale Allyn

Both Preferences and stuff in Application Support can be real troublemakers. Good find on that list, David.

I usually use Spotlight to search out all the "visible" pieces. I still manually go through the files in Library to look for orphans to be removed.

PeterA

Gentlemen,

thank you for your comments and suggestuions. David thanks especially for teh links.

I tried the Ap zap programme - this time the software allopwed me to enter registration details and proceeded to a successful install.

Strangely when I tried to open Aperture ...

again the same problem

message Aperture has unexpectedly quit and do I want to ignore relaunch or report..

I guess Aperture and I are not going to get together.

this is the first and only piece of software I haev ever bought that has done this to me..I have the latest and greatest laptops and towers withe th right video cards..

sorry but it is an example of Apple junk.

Cheers and once again thank you.

Pete

harmsr

Workshop Member
Pete,

I have been running Aperture for a long time and just love it. Your problem is not Aperture, it is Phocus. See the post that I just made in the MF section. If you have Phocus installed then Aperture is "toast".

Read my post, then please send your own information to Hassy so we can get them to fix Phocus.

Best,

Ray

PeterA

Ray - thanks I didnt see your post in MF...and I haev Phocus installed on every one of my machines...

David K

Workshop Member
Please let us know how the Aperture/Phocus conflict works out... probably one of those simple things once you know about it.