Site Sponsors

Thread: CS3 Upgrade question about moving actions from CS.

Post Thanks / Like

CS3 Upgrade question about moving actions from CS.

I upgraded from CS to CS3 and I would like to find a quick way to move my saved actions. I was surprised that they weren't already there since it was an upgrade vs buying a whole new program. Is there a quick way to do this? I can't seem to find certain actions in the menu and I can't open both Photoshops together either to do a drag and drop. Windows XP platform on a Mac (via Parallels). {Having a major brain fart. }

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: CS3 Upgrade question about moving actions from CS.

Greg in CS2 get out of button mode. Than highlight the action you want than hit the triangle and you can save that action to say your desktop . Than load CS3 and you can load them back in
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's been a long time since CS for me, but aren't the actions all stored in the PS application folder? If they are, they might be in a folder labeled "actions" or buried somewhere else. Sometimes, things would be stored in the "Library" > "Application Support" > "Adobe" folder. If you have a hard time finding them, use Spotlight and search for ".atn". It should show you all the actions on your hard disk.

Regardless of where CS stores them, open the Actions panel in CS3, hit the drop down menu in the Actions palette and select "Load Actions" and then navigate to wherever they're stored. Once you load them, they'll be there.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys,

Guy... I'm not in button mode. The send to desktop was a good idea though.

TRSmith... I tried doing the search and shows only the Default .atn's for some reason. But I will try the library suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For future reference, if you save all of your actions and 3rd party plug-ins into a dedicated folder, you simply re-load them from that location after any CS upgrade. And if you've named that location in your preferences, your plug-ins should load automatically from that folder, though your actions will still need to be re-loaded manaully
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."