The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tinting B&W & uniformity

Ben Rubinstein

Hi,

I've been working on a series which uses a slight sepia tint on B&W renditions. Problem is that the level and colour of tint seems to vary between photos when using the same B&W filter (with tint added) or even a photo filter with the same colour added to each picture.

Any way to get a truly uniform tint throughout a series whose photos have varying tonality/brightness?

Many thanks..

mjm6

This is an old post, but if you still want an answer, this is what I do...

I don't use a filter. I use the curves adjustment (as a layer). That can then be applied to any image and it will treat tham exactly the same (as long as the curves layer is put last, and they are all B&W images, and you are using the same colorspace, etc.).

The nice thing about a curves layer is that you can do some pretty sophisticated color adjustments (split toning, for example). You also have the ability to screen it back so you can set the effect in the curves dialogue box, and then tune it back using the opacity or screening sliders.

You can also save out the curves information to call it up in other files, so it is fast and efficient to apply.

---Michael

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
There's the Silver Efex Pro option that includes various pre-made settings for sepia that are all customizable (along with a wide variety of other tones and paper colors for an almost infinite toning universe).

And don't forget the ability to make a duotone in Photoshop. You must first change the mode to 8-bit greyscale from RGB so it's best to work on a copy. Find the right color to work with black that gives you the feeling you want, adjust the duotone curve for each color and save the duotone combo to apply to any image.

Also in photoshop, you can apply an adjustment layer (like curves or levels) and then double-click the layer and set a color overlay. Pick the color you want and adjust the layer opacity to apply it as heavy or as light as you want.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I actually now tint the images via Texture Blending (the tint comes from the Texture involved, here sand):