The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to get the noise only image?

T

tjucruiser

Under the same circumstances, I get 15 X ray images I1, I2, I3, …,I15.
Then two methods were used to get the noise only image.

First method:
Noise image=(I1-I2)/sqrt(2).
They said that subvided by sqrt(2) can maintain the variance of the Noise image identical to I1 and I2.

Second method:
Noise image=I1-(I1+I2+I3+…+I15)/15. Can this method maintain the variance of noise image identical to original images?

If I don't consider the coefficient of sqrt(2), I think first method can also be explained as
Noise image=I1-(I1+I2)/2.
The above equation is similar to second method.

Please give me some suggestion, Thank you.

Lars

since noise varies between images I'd be inclined to calc a mean from all images and then diff each image to the mean.

T

tjucruiser

Lars Vinberg, thank you! I think you are right. But can you give me the mathematical deduction. If I have N images with radom noise, and I have them added on, I can eliminate the radom off from the image.

Lars

You can average out noise, not eliminate.

mean = (I1 + I2 +... + I15) / 15

That's the best you can do using mean, I think.

If you want to get into denoising raster algorithms, that's a different thing.