Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NEW Capture One 6.0 Release

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: NEW Capture One 6.0 Release

pixels, inches, cm, and mm.
    I wonder how big a pixel is?
    -bob
    Last edited by Bob; 4th December 2010 at 23:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Tried local adjustment tools - didn't like it, for reason of brush size being utterly small and no fill tools.. But may be I overlooked something..

Also noticed that it get horribly slow after using about 5 spot fixes..

Oh and cursor shape isn't changed properly when you doing spots or pick and switching to other tops panels - feels real funny to click on menus with color picker
    Control-click on mac and a brush size dialog appears that allows one to change size and softness. The largest I was able to set to was 4000px.

I haven't noticed a slow down in spot fixes at least about 55 of them (windy dusty day)
    What sort of machine configuration are you running it on?.
    thanks
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Thomas,
    Thanks very much for your reply.
    What makes it hard for me to find the cause, is that if I print the tiff developed in C1 6 in Lightroom3 or CS5 using my paper profiles the resulting prints match the monitor practically exactly, both as to brightness and color. My monitor is calibrated to 80 cd/m2.
    If I print from C1 6 letting the printer manage colors the result is much better than using profiles, but not quite as good as using LR3 and profiles.
    Are you getting good prints from C1?
    maurice

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archiM44 View Post
    Are you getting good prints from C1?
    I am getting good TIFs from C1... I am printing in a Lab. However I do prepare all the print files myself, also convert the files to the printer profiles here and let my lab print without color management (actually I let them print without touching the file). Works like charm.
    As nice as the new printer tool in C1 is... I can't imagine it will replace Photoshop's sophisticated softproof options for me. But as outlined somewhere above I think it should be doable to work with variants with the respective printer profiles set as recipes and consequently print without color managment. If this doesn't work for you I would guess your printer driver is still involved in some way...

Post Thanks / Like

I get excellent tif's from C1 and printing them from photoshop using the paper profile I made with eye1pro gives me prints that match the screen as shown in both C1 and in photoshop (the screen in both programs is identical)
    Thanks again for your information
    regards, maurice

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Printing from C1 6
    OK, it does work, but there is a secret recipe and procedure you need to follow at least on the Mac
    1) Open the print tool /File/Print
    2) select your printer
    3) Hit the Print settings button then adjust the printer preferences appropriate for the print you are making including the point about turning off color management. When done hit "save"
    4) Now, select your printer/paper profile
    5) set whatever other options you desire
    6) Hit "Print"
    7) now here is the tricky part
    A "Print" dialog will appear DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE PRINT BUTTON DOING SO WILL RESET YOUR PROFILE SETTINGS AND YOU WILL NOT EVEN SEE IT. I know it is tempting to double check your print settings, but just avoid the temptation.
    This is a bug or an awkwardness, but this process seems to work for both Jack and me.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I prefer to use ImageNest for my printing needs. Export to 16-bit TIFF and ImageNest does the rest.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Bob
    Thank you so much for this tip.
    maurice

Post Thanks / Like

Bob
    I tried it using your procedure exactly, but my print is slightly darker than the screen image, which by the way is exactly the same in LR3, CS5, and in C1 6, and the color is ever so slightly off - blue sky is slightly turquoise so either too much cyan in the blue or as you wish too little magenta.
    If I develop in C1 6 and then print the tiff using either LR3 or PSCS5 the results match my screen perfectly both brightness and color.
    I have even tried making a printer profile by printing the patch images for measuring with my i1Pro out of C1 6 but the resulting profile does not solve the problem.
    Because the prints out of LR/PS match my calibrated screens so exactly I guess I will give up trying to print from Capture One.
    Regards, maurice

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just tried the Keystone Correction a IT ROCKS!

Check this out:

Light Up the Night by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep, keystone is huge too. I shot a recent set of table-top product that were all rectangles. I used this tool on every one of them truing them up, never had to hit Photoshop, was a BREEZE to process.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

nino loss

I upgraded immediately when I read that there was local adjustments and printing out of C1. After more than a week of usage, there had been two things worth to be noted:

C1 v6 is a lot faster here (on a win7x64/16ram/ATI HD5770+new latest driver) even with OpenCL set to NEVER. Unfortunately, when I set it to AUTO it will freeze. Either way it flickers a lot.

I had to delete some *.cop & *.cof files (only where I had problems - strangely not all of the old files?) otherwise C1 would freeze on them, not redraw the viewer or not display correctly in the browser.

Do you have an advise for the OpenCL? (I contacted P1, but they are too busy right now with licensing problems they told me...)

regards
    nino

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nino loss View Post
    I had to delete some *.cop & *.cof files
    strange, isn't it? Actually these are just image files (and focus mask proxies) but there are always issues with the proxies when upgrading.
    I routinely delete all preview and focus mask proxies prior to upgrading C1. Also the batch queue folder in ~/library/appl. support/c1...

Do you have an advise for the OpenCL?
    yes - disable it

nino loss

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    strange, isn't it? Actually these are just image files [...]

yes - disable it
    but than I'll loose all those wonderful advantages of OpenCL! Do you think that issue will be fixed, is fixable soon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

but than I'll loose all those wonderful advantages of OpenCL!
    if you consider a flickering and freezing screen a wonderful advantage then go for it

I was very happy with the performance of C1 for my puposes (C1 5.1.2 is slightly faster on my computer than V6... especially processing of files; minor difference though). RE OpenCL I think it is just the beginning and Phase will optimize the feature further.
    Me personally I wouldn't profit from OpenCL anyway as I still use the standard graphics card in my MacPro (Nvidia GT 120). But I certainly will not buy a Nvidia Quadro just to use OpenCL in it's current state. Well, maybe I will if the use of OpenCL evolves further and the performance boost really justifies such an investment.
    V 6.0.1 is already on its way... let's wait and see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My .02 >>> If you have a relatively fast computer to begin with, Open CL in C1 (and GL in CS) give you very little in terms of tangible performance boosts, at least in their current iterations. Note too that Open CL only runs with a fairly limited set of graphics cards right now anyway. It made zero difference on my Mac Pro -- reasonably fast 1GB GTX285, but unsupported card -- and the only difference I detected in my MBP was occasional flickering when it was in Auto, versus smooth running when I it off...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The performance and side-effects of OpenCl are partially due to the graphics configuration and the amount of memory installed on the graphics board, partially due to Phase One's implementation of the OpenCL framework, and partially due to the fact that the framework is still a bit new and subject to improvement.
    On both my MP(current) and MBP(current-1) OpenCL set to auto seems to work just fine. I do have occasional issues, very occasional actually, but I cannot pin them on OpenCL at the moment.
    There is an interplay between system performance, screen size, the camera's embedded jpeg, and the preview size setting that may cause apparent jittering.
    There seem to be three phases or refreshes to the main image view.
    1) quick low res I suspect derived from embedded preview
    2) initial refresh from the capture one preview generated on import or when C1 first notices that it is messing a cache entry for the file
    3) final refresh which is based on a fully recalculated image for the current display and image resolution.
    If the preferences/preview size is pretty close to your actual displayed resolution in the main image viewer to maybe something like half that, the difference between the second refresh and final refresh is reduced and the apparent flicker as well.
    For me, a preview setting from 1400px up works well on a 30 inch monitor. I have settled on about 1200-1400 as it is a tradeoff of speed and storage space but chacun ses gots.
    -bob

nino loss

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    [...]
    If the preferences/preview size is pretty close to your actual displayed resolution in the main image viewer to maybe something like half that, the difference between the second refresh and final refresh is reduced and the apparent flicker as well.
    For me, a preview setting from 1400px up works well on a 30 inch monitor. I have settled on about 1200-1400 as it is a tradeoff of speed and storage space but chacun ses gots.
    -bob
    very interesting! I have to try to play with that setting. For some reason C1 now only flickers at start-up (and I get maybe up to hundred cascading Command prompt windows).

I have set the preview size to the maximum 2600px. Once OPenCL set to NEVER , I do not notice any noteworthy delay for refresh etc, whether in the viewer or in the browser. It's quite instantaneous. That's maybe due to 16GB RAM and the ATI HD5770 (which would be able to handle OpenCL).

regards
    nino

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    My .02 >>> If you have a relatively fast computer to begin with, Open CL in C1 (and GL in CS) give you very little in terms of tangible performance boosts
    but OpenGL in Photoshop is not designed to outsource operation tasks... actually it's designed to enable additional features (AFAIK). Consequently OpenGL in PS can't speed up things... correct me if I'm wrong. But it can slow down things ... especially when working with multi layer files. But it's quite usefull to view (flattened) images at arbitrary zoom levels (for instance at actual print size) without aliasing effects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But it can slow down things ... especially when working with multi layer files.
    Precisely. And for me, the "cool" feature gains are minor compared to the frustrations from added hang and lag caused by it when working on large files. Brush size and feather by drags is pretty nifty though, and *if* I edited a lot, like people/skin, then I might leave it enabled and live with the performance frustrations. Probably a great feature for folks working with web-size images all day, not so great for photographers working with large digital files.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    for me, the "cool" feature gains are minor compared to the frustrations from added hang and lag caused by it when working on large files
    the same to me. I am running CS4 and CS5. I do almost everything in CS4 (OpenGL disabled) and use CS5 only to prepare my prints... with OpenGL enabled. So the files come in flattened and that's okay. Working with images a bit larger than 19.000 x 14.000 pixels the 64bit thing helps a lot with sharpening and preparing masks (since Focal Blade is available as 64bit version). Besides, the zoom at print size is working surprisingly well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nino.

If you are using an AMD 5xxx card under Windows 7, you need the latest AMD driver (10.12) and our - very soon to be released - update to 6.0

Lionel

Post Thanks / Like

6.0 update is now available (6.0.1)
    http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads/CaptureOne.aspx

Lionel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I for one find OpenGL with CS5 to be just great with no performance issues with files up to and including 6G. I have not tried anything larger in actual use.
    I have no performance issues other than parts of CS5 that are slow with or without OpenGL such as liquify and for that i use the traditional downres/save mesh/history restore/apply mesh work-around.

I am a tablet user and do a lot of skin retouch and find the combination of the brush size/softness as well as pressure sensitive brush dynamics to be not indispensable and very efficient.
    So ads far as PS CS5 is concerned, OpenGL is nailed on.

Now OpenCL is another matter completely.
    This framework is NOT used by PS as far as I can tell but IS used by C1.
    Although OpenCL provides access through its framework to OpenGL features, its primary purpose is general purpose access to GPU multiprocessing for computational tasks.

I do not know (yet) how much of these computational features are used by C1 but I expect that it would be very tempting for performance purposes for the right combination of graphics card and system memory.

I am eagerly looking forward to a future release of C1 with more of this stuff engaged but not nearly as much as a maintenance release to the OpenCL library itself. There are more than a few rough edges.
    -bob

<link that would be in my signature if I had one>

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quoting from the 6.0.1 release notes

Highlights, version⠀6.0.1⠀
    This is a service release improving quality and providing support for additional cameras.
    Bugfixes
    In particular, the following issues are addressed:
    • Some high ISO image quality issues.
    • A number of OpenCL related defects.
    • An issue causing auto select to fail during tethered shooting in some cases (Mac).
    • An issue with the application hanging when picking a skin tone in the white balance tool.
    • A problem always causing crop to be auto selected on the clipboard even when it is not set (Win).
    • An auto levels issue – improved version provide less clipping.

In addition the release contains fixes for a number of other issues.

Camera Support

• Panasonic Lumix DMC LX5 and DMC LX3.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I simply cannot use Open CL on my machine with C1. I'm running a MBP which is also pushing a 30 Inch NEC wide gamut. My conclusion after many attempts at this is i simply am pushing the graphics card to the max with the NEC. I get scrambled previews no matter what I try and I have tried a lot. I'm hoping since this is the first version really implementing Open CL that it will improve on next update. But right now it is a no go for me.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob is that out yet . Love to try it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Bob is that out yet . Love to try it
    Yes it is available from the phase download site
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Yes it is available from the phase download site
    -bob

Oh i can make one for ya.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well downloaded and at first blush it seems okay now. Going to try a couple more things and see if it is working okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, you should try enabling OpenCL - it should much smoother.

-Lionel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

6.0.1 seems to be working well.
    So far the only thing I notice is a very brief artifact in the viewer window of half pink with diagonal green lines upon selecting a different image in the browser.
    Cosmetic only I think.
    -bob

<there would be a link in my signature if I had one http://www.example.com>

nino loss

Lionel,

With my ATI HD5770 running with the latest 10.12 driver the things remained unchanged regarding OpenCL set to AUTO in C1 6.0.1. I have to set it to NEVER to avoid freezing.

regards

shaya

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lkuhlmann View Post
    Guy, you should try enabling OpenCL - it should much smoother.

-Lionel
    Thanks Lionel I think it is actually working now on my MBP . My fear was before not enough horsepower but they must have made some improvements as it seems to be working now. BTW can you suggest the correct pixel preview like 1200, 1400 that maybe best or what would make it the correct amount for screen. That is not explained well anywhere if you know that info or anyone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW can you suggest the correct pixel preview like 1200, 1400 that maybe best or what would make it the correct amount for screen.
    the setting in the preferences defines the resolution of your previews (and also that of the QuickProof-JPGs).
    So... set your workspace to your default and zoom the image at size "to fit". Measure the width of the preview... and set this value in the preferences.
    For example: my default is the browser placed at the bottom, the tools on the right and the proof margin set to "100"... on a 1920x1200px monitor. With this setup my previews are 997 pixels wide (in 4:3 image format). So my preset is 1000px.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Thomas. Yeks I'm 18inches across

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Thomas. Yeks I'm 18inches across
    you can also set a half or a quarter of the resolution. I found there is no meaningful difference (if any) as previews are first generated at full res if you zoom in to 25% (and above).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Got it. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

6.01 is out:

Bugfixes
    In particular, the following issues are addressed:
    Some high ISO image quality issues.
    A number of OpenCL related defects.
    An issue causing auto select to fail during tethered shooting in some cases (Mac).
    An issue with the application hanging when picking a skin tone in the white balance tool.
    A problem always causing crop to be auto selected on the clipboard even when it is not set (Win).
    An auto levels issue improved version provide less clipping.

In addition the release contains fixes for a number of other issues.

Camera Support
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 and DMC-LX3.

Post Thanks / Like

you can also set a half or a quarter of the resolution. I found there is no meaningful difference (if any) as previews are first generated at full res if you zoom in to 25% (and above).
    As Thomas explains it depends on your own preference for quick-jpeg size, as well as the preferred size of images in the Web Contact sheet.

As of 6.0 - when using OpenCL the preview image size is less important for the main viewer, since the raw image data is used to generate previews through the GPU - unless you have a small screen (1024x768) and a P65+.

Pay significantly attention to slider updates shown in 100%.

-Lionel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW love to see C1 get support for the new Sony A33,A55 and NEX cams that are real popular right now. Also this is a nice maintenance update running very nicely now. Color me very happy.

nino loss

EDIT: Sorry for that post. I just found it again, it's where it was ;-) [Original Post: I didn't notice till now the disappearance of the "save as ICC profile" form the color editor! The associated web based help file still mentions it. I need it! Did move to somewhere else where I can't find it?]

EDIT part2: to my defense I want to add, that all commands "save", "delete"... are in the PRESETS menu on the top right corner of the color editor. SO that's where I was looking for it, and not in the "remove tool" menu next to it. When I couldn't find it, I looked up the online help file which states:
    To Save Color Scheme as ICC Pro

1. Adjust all colors to the desired look
    2. Press presets and choose Save as ICC Profile
    [...]
    As you can see, I am not the only one to think that the preset menu would be the place to put that.

regards

nino

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

EDIT: Sorry for that post. I just found it again, it's where it was ;-) [Original Post: I didn't notice till now the disappearance of the "save as ICC profile" form the color editor! The associated web based help file still mentions it. I need it! Did move to somewhere else where I can't find it?]

EDIT part2: to my defense I want to add, that all commands "save", "delete"... are in the PRESETS menu on the top right corner of the color editor. SO that's where I was looking for it, and not in the "remove tool" menu next to it. When I couldn't find it, I looked up the online help file which states:

As you can see, I am not the only one to think that the preset menu would be the place to put that.

regards

nino
    I am certainly pleased that the "save as ICC profile" is back again at all in V6.0.1. It was missing in V6.0.
    It's actually not that bad to put the command in the triangle icon. You can store color edits as "presets" - consequently "save user preset" is located in the presets menu. Or you can save color edits as a new ICC profile, which is actually a different purpose and to me it's fine that the "save as ICC profile" command is located in the "tool"-menu, not in the "preset"-menu.
    But actually I don't care where they put the command as long as it is available somewhere

nino loss

I am certainly pleased that the "save as ICC profile" is back again at all in V6.0.1. It was missing in V6.0.[...]
    Oh, so I didn't hallucinate! It was missing (for 10 days I used the 6.0.0 version)
    But actually I don't care where they put the command as long as it is available somewhere
    yes

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

aaaargh!!! i did it again! lost my JFI Labs b/w profiles, lovely (preset) settings i got in this forum from Jack, and Jamie Roberts' M8 profiles (that i quite like for the M9 as well)

if somebody could please tell me where they reside (Mac 10.6.4) so i can retrieve them from my last back-up, i'd greatly appreciate it.

i swear i will print it out and post it to my forehead... thank you!
    Last edited by cam; 16th December 2010 at 09:20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    if somebody could please tell me where they reside (Mac 10.6.4) so i can retrieve them from my last back-up, i'd greatly appreciate it.
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpo...4&postcount=38

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yes, i read and understood (and was grateful for) your post... the only problem is, it isn't there.

if anybody else is using JFI Labs b/w presets, can you give me a name of one of them so i can try to do a search?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    yes, i read and understood (and was grateful for) your post... the only problem is, it isn't there.
    what is not where?
    Your computer doesn't have a folder (user)/library/color sync/profiles?
    Or it just does not contain the profiles?
    There is another folder in (mac)/library/color sync/profiles.

If you've lost the profiles after upgarding to C1 V6.0.1 it would indicate that you've put the profiles into the application package back then. In this case they are lost (if you've choosen to overwrite or trash the prior version of C1).

What about cmd+F and just search for "icc".
    Set "type" to "is" + "different" and type in "icc" again.
    This should show you all the icc profiles stored on your computer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i give up... never mind.