The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW Capture One 6.0 Release

dhsimmonds

I had no problems loading C6 Pro on my Mac. I just love the upgrade as it is much faster browsing RAW files. The B & W and local adjustments are just awesome. I haven't tried the Keystone adjustments yet but I can see the value of it.

This is an excellent upgrade.

etrigan63

Tip: do not try to open non-local image files. Accessing files across the local network is dog-slow. I suppose it has to do with C1 building cache files in every folder it touches.

SergeiR

Just got complains from one of my russian readers on the dreaded openGL stuff - "constantly crashes, sometime cant redraw picture at all". Told him to submit report to C1 team and see what they said :)

--

So far i like it. I wanted better perspective correction tools for oh so long, even without TS, as i use that technique a lot in model shoots to play with dynamic perspective, when lens alone isnt enough. And B&W stuff - i now need to stop myself from turning shots into B&W on some major scale - its addictive :)))))

etrigan63

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just got complains from one of my russian readers on the dreaded openGL stuff - "constantly crashes, sometime cant redraw picture at all". Told him to submit report to C1 team and see what they said :)

--

So far i like it. I wanted better perspective correction tools for oh so long, even without TS, as i use that technique a lot in model shoots to play with dynamic perspective, when lens alone isnt enough. And B&W stuff - i now need to stop myself from turning shots into B&W on some major scale - its addictive :)))))
Yea I finally turned Open GL to Never. Having issues myself. Yes he should report it no question.

GRW

Well... Again, I found that the local adjustments are limited to a very limited subset of tools (exposure, color, sharpening). The contrast, saturation sliders are inactive, no curve, etc. Or perhaps I did not understand how to use this new function?
Bernard,

Yeah I know the tools are a little limited, but it's another thing that I can use in C1 without jumping to PS. I'm sure they will develop this as it goes along and add features in. Just like I know the B&W feature isn't as comprehensive as NIK silver effects but it's extremely competent and usable and it's all part of a one stop shop and now I can print from it too, another step out of my workflow.

Graeme

eleanorbrown

I worked with this very awesome upgrade much of yesterday and love the new features...b&w capabilities, local adjustment for exposure, and the keystone tool among others. I HOPE they are planning to do a local adjustment for CLARITY...that is tops on my list. Eleanor

PS am I correct is noticing soft proofing in the print window or is this my imagination?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bernard,

Yeah I know the tools are a little limited, but it's another thing that I can use in C1 without jumping to PS. I'm sure they will develop this as it goes along and add features in. Just like I know the B&W feature isn't as comprehensive as NIK silver effects but it's extremely competent and usable and it's all part of a one stop shop and now I can print from it too, another step out of my workflow.

Graeme
Yes great point we are getting further and further away from going to CS5 to get work done and in my book that is very very welcome. I am sure they will keep building on it and making it more functional like that. Just the darn local adjustments to darken a hot spot or lighten a dark spot is worth the upgrade. Did that last night processing a shoot using lighting and my rim light was a little hot , wham brushed it a little less exposure and perfect. That was golden as I did not have to bring those 10 images into CS5 and do that. Hard to put a value on time which for a lot of folks is so important. We are on these computers enough and anything to help flow is welcome.

eleanorbrown

Hopefully that (paper color)will come in future updates. Right now the color managed preview is more than Lightroom offers. eleanor

the screen preview is color managed. However it doesn't provide advanced viewing options such as simulation of paper color.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hopefully that (paper color)will come in future updates. Right now the color managed preview is more than Lightroom offers. eleanor
I have no specific knowledge on plans for the print module (output has never been an area of expertise for me) but in general it is safe to say that Capture One has historically added many features in X.0 releases which were further refined in X.1 and X.2 releases.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

thomas

actually C1 has always been more advanced than Lightroom in this regard as you can softproof your files even in the regular viewer (menu "view" -> "proof profile") and C1 also displays the respective histogram (which is really essential).
This is by the way probably quite a good way to print from C1: clone a variant, set the desired print profile as output recipe, adjust the file (curves, levels, clarity or whatever) in the regular viewer (with the option to zoom in) and finally print without color managment (as the printer profile is already assigned to the file due to the output recipe).
Photoshop's color management options in softproof mode are still much more advanced but the outlined workflow should do.

thomas

I have no specific knowledge on plans for the print module (output has never been an area of expertise for me) but in general it is safe to say that Capture One has historically added many features in X.0 releases which were further refined in X.1 and X.2 releases.
true... and this is something I really like about Phase/C1... they really care about the quality of their tools... not so much about the number of tools available. You just have to look at the LCC tool for example from V3 to today... it has been reworked many times and it is really great today (not that it was unusable in V3, the contrary... but it's soooo much better now).

cam

you all are tempting me, but the whole hassle of uninstalling manually to upgrade is really starting to get to me... i have third party profiles that i have lost too many times (they are not easily found) that i use most of the time -- so it always makes me cranky.

i do love C1 and use it for almost all my RAW conversions, but the lack of automation to uninstall and deactivate/activate easily makes me hesitate even more than the cost of the upgrade... maybe it's because i am perfectly comfortable converting my files and going to CS3 for further working... i just hate that there is no easy way to try before you buy as well.

like i said, a fantastic converter that i'm just not sure is worth the angst of upgrading.

T

tokengirl

This local adjustments business has gotten my attention. I see a 30-day trial in my near future. Does it have a spot healing brush like Lightroom? I am shooting a lot of film these days and that stupid spot healing brush is an absolute godsend for dust spots.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This local adjustments business has gotten my attention. I see a 30-day trial in my near future. Does it have a spot healing brush like Lightroom? I am shooting a lot of film these days and that stupid spot healing brush is an absolute godsend for dust spots.
There is both a dust and a spot tool.

The dust tool looks for and makes changes to things that look like dust (semi-transparent - not completely obscuring the underlying image detail). It's really meant only for dust and can work somewhat for small film water-drying marks.

The spot tool is a "hard clone" that stamps overtop of anything (e.g. door knobs, zits etc).

These changes can be copy/pasted to the rest of the shoot in one click.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

thomas

you all are tempting me, but the whole hassle of uninstalling manually to upgrade is really starting to get to me... i have third party profiles that i have lost too many times (they are not easily found) that i use most of the time -- so it always makes me cranky.
a clean uninstall is not mandatory. Only in case of performance issues or strange behavior of the application a clean un- and re-install may solve the issues. I guess mostly a simple update will do.
However I would at least delete the proxies (*.cop & *.cof) and the batch queue (~/library/application support/capture one) prior to running the updated version.

As to the profiles... don't you have a folder where all your important icc profiles are stored as a copy? Back ups are practical ;-)
Too, you don't have to re-install the profiles all the time. Simply copy your profiles to ~/library/color sync/profiles and they will show up in Capture One under "other" down in the profile list. If you rename the profiles according to the naming conventions of Phase One they will even show up in the profiles menu of your camera. See attachment... I've named some profiles with the name of the camera (without blank spaces) and they show up in the menu of my P45. So I don't even have to scroll down to the "others" column in the profile list. If you have many profiles that you don't use frequently just zip them to keep the profiles menu in C1 clear.

cam

thank you, thomas.

i am just on holiday and cranky with technology right now, especially as i just got a new MBA (unexpected)... and i do back up, faithfully, but the stupid profiles (and where they reside) always elude me and i seem to forget where they live between updates... and i hate having to be a nerd when i'm trying to be creative :eek:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I am so pleased with C1 6 that I didn't want to tear myself away from it to write this....
I often used LR for its grad filter. No longer - I can use the LA in C1 to darken my burned out skies. Among many many other uses.
Bill