The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photoshop Keyboard Problem

m3photo

Seeking help here.
I'm on a MacBook Pro and lately I can't use the keyboard shortcuts to any tools. I hit say "S" for the Cloning Tool and it switches to the tool for a fraction of a second and then reverts to the last one. I have to choose the tool by clicking on its icon in the tool Palette only. Tried Preferences Menu in as many ways as I could think and got nowhere.
Also, since I had to reload PS (CS5 by the way) I can't remember how to get images to come up full screen as a default without having to open said image and then press F to do so.
Thanks in advance.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I remember hearing something about this elsewhere. If I remember correctly, it was an elusive problem with no definite solution that effected some but not all. Two things you might try: reset preferences by holding holding Ctrl+Alt+Shift while starting Photoshop, and/or remove something called "Bing Bar" which seems to have a conflict. No idea what Bing Bar is, but that's what I know.

Good luck,
Tim

m3photo

I remember hearing something about this elsewhere. If I remember correctly, it was an elusive problem with no definite solution that effected some but not all. Two things you might try: reset preferences by holding holding Ctrl+Alt+Shift while starting Photoshop, and/or remove something called "Bing Bar" which seems to have a conflict. No idea what Bing Bar is, but that's what I know.

Good luck,
Tim
Sorry Tim, been away a while.
Tried resetting preferences, to no avail.
Bing seems to be a search engine, never had it on.

Still wondering ...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sorry Michael, I am clueless as to what it could be...

As for screen mode, in the top middle tool bar is a screen icon which will toggle you between screen modes. Note that in Fullscreen mode all menus disappear including the Screenmode, but the Tab key makes it visible again.

m3photo

Thank you Tim. Your suggestion as to the conflict with something else led me to try turning off the Sophos Anti-Virus I installed recently (free download anyway, quite good though). Problem solved.

Thank you Jack, I've always toggled screen modes with the F key and am constantly hitting the Tab key as it's the poor man's solution to not having two screens! However I still seem to remember, in CS2 at least, being able to open images right off the bat in full screen mode, then again my memory might be more wishful thinking than anything else ...