The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Workflow help

Simon M.

I'm really liking the rendering C1 provides (compared to LR3 which I'm currently using). Just a couple of questions for those more familiar with the program than I.

1. Does C1 allow for a second copy of the file to be made to a second location during import? I use this often with LR and can't find a similar option in C1 (maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot?)

2. Do you use C1 as a browser to casually look over your images (like I do with LR) or are you using an external viewer/browser?

3. How is the printing from C1 working for folks? I've not gotten it to the point where I'm comfortable yet - I still find it easier to go into lightroom or photoshop for that.

Many thanks for any help those more knowledgeable than I can provide.

thomas

1. Does C1 allow for a second copy of the file to be made to a second location during import?
yes. In the import tool click on the little triangle right hand side of the locations tab and select enable backup.
See attachment.

2. Do you use C1 as a browser to casually look over your images (like I do with LR) or are you using an external viewer/browser?
you can. but actually something like Expression Media or so is better suited to do so.
I don't use C1 as image browser...

3. How is the printing from C1 working for folks?
don't know... I don't print from C1.

Simon M.

Thanks for the answer Thomas, as I suspected I was just looking in the wrong place...

I'm curious if folks are using C1 for any form of DAM, the great thing about LR is I can see what the images will look like without having to render them and find them using the metadata. As far as I know C1 won't let me search by metadata (I'm fine with that), but I'm curious if anyone is using it as the main image browser.

The only way I've found to work as an image browser is to have a very ordered file hierarchy and generally 'know' where the image I'm looking for is. Surely there must be a more efficient way, or at least some tweaks that could make this method more usable for me. Could this be a case where having sessions folders (something I haven't really delved into) helps a lot?

archiM44

Phase One have a really good set of video tutorials which clearly show the possibilities of sessions.
I have tried printing from capture one but the results are slightly off and do not match my screen exactly. ( have a detailed post on this forum about this) The problem is a case with Phase One support.
Developing as tiff and opening in LR3 and printing from there matches my screen exactly.
It should be clear that my strong preference, especially for skin tones, lies strongly with Capture One.

Simon M.

Thanks for the help. I've scoured the phase one site for information on sessions and general workflow help - I think I have a plan that works for me.

One final question: I have many older files that were edited as .dng files in LR - does C1 read the edits done by ACR and stored in the dng files? Is my best bet to rip those files to .tiff (they are done and won't be reprocessed) then C1 can render them correctly?

Thanks again for all the help.