Site Sponsors

Thread: Black and White Work - Capture One Pro 6 vs Lightroom 3 and Silver Efex Pro

ZagatoV12

Black and White Work - Capture One Pro 6 vs Lightroom 3 and Silver Efex Pro

Hi All,

I've just completed a head to head comparison of Capture One Pro Version 6 with Lightroom 3 and a comparable workflow with ACR6 / CS5 / Silver Efex Pro with some very interesting results. I did the work with these current versions of the various applications because I wanted to make sure that I was getting the most from my monochrome conversions, and I got some surprises!

Anyway, if anyone would like to add their view of which they prefer and why I would be very grateful for the benefit of your experiences.

You can find my first impressions of Capture One Pro at:
    http://www.theintuitivelens.com/equi...t-impressions/

The second article comparing Capture One Pro and Silver Efex Pro is at:
    http://www.theintuitivelens.com/soft...-white-images/

The final part comparing Capture One Pro with Lightroom 3 is at:
    http://www.theintuitivelens.com/soft...-white-photos/

Please join the debate, particularly if you have examples to share.

Cheers

Mike

tokengirl

Re: Black and White Work - Capture One Pro 6 vs Lightroom 3 and Silver Efex Pro

I have not yet tried C1Pro6, so I can't comment on it.

I use Lightroom to process my RAW files, and I use Silver Efex Pro for my B&W conversions. I have used Lightroom for B&W conversions in the past, but at the end of the day, I have found that SEPro gives me better results for the type of photos I do, in a way that is more intuitive (to me) and faster.

The photo you chose in your test converts to B&W well with all the conversion methods you used. There is not a huge difference between any of them.

If you want to see a bigger difference, try converting a landscape with a big expanse of blue sky and some puffy white clouds, maybe even a storm brewing in the distance. Go for that dramatic look where the blue sky is almost black. I can assure you, you'll see a very big difference between Lightroom and Silver Efex Pro - so much so that it'll make you think twice about ever using Lightroom for B&W conversion again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is a sample of B&W work done 100% in the new C1 v6 using the new B&W tool with split-toning. Here the split is sepia/sepia at differing settings to add depth. The only PS work was adding the borders, all else done in C1:

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

personal opinion is that any image editing application has the potential to produce great b/w images - its down to first of all having an image with enough information and then to understanding what parameter to adjust

the only advantage one software has over another is the ease with which you achieve the desired result

k

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kevinparis View Post

the only advantage one software has over another is the ease with which you achieve the desired result

k
    I agree and the better knowledge one has of a particular software over other similar products makes also a lot of difference.

Cheers,
    Ario

FSUnoles

Quote Originally Posted by tokengirl View Post
    I have not yet tried C1Pro6, so I can't comment on it.

I use Lightroom to process my RAW files, and I use Silver Efex Pro for my B&W conversions. I have used Lightroom for B&W conversions in the past, but at the end of the day, I have found that SEPro gives me better results for the type of photos I do, in a way that is more intuitive (to me) and faster.

The photo you chose in your test converts to B&W well with all the conversion methods you used. There is not a huge difference between any of them.

If you want to see a bigger difference, try converting a landscape with a big expanse of blue sky and some puffy white clouds, maybe even a storm brewing in the distance. Go for that dramatic look where the blue sky is almost black. I can assure you, you'll see a very big difference between Lightroom and Silver Efex Pro - so much so that it'll make you think twice about ever using Lightroom for B&W conversion again.
    i just starting using silver efex this week and used on that exact circumstance

before

after in Silverfex (i htink it was wet rocks...and then edited a bit)