The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Capture LC11 vs. LR3

gsking

Foraying into the Leaf arena, I find LC11 to be both tedious and underpowered.

For example, it seems to have very little exposure control. All the dynamic range of a MFDB, and slightly blown highlights seem gone forever.

Put the same .mos files into LR3, and you seem to get all the exposure tuning you'd expect. It compares similarly to Capture One with a Phase back.

So, two questions:

1. Am I missing some slider or something in LC11? The -0.5 to 0.5 range on brightness and contrast seems to be incredibly ineffectual and limiting
2. Am I losing anything by taking .MOS files directly into LR3? Obviously, I'll save a TON of time. ;)

Thanks.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'd suggest you look at Capture One 6 Pro. It does a fantastic job with Leaf files.

But only you can be the judge - try the 30 day trial and process a few typical and a few problematic (hard color, underexposed, long exposures) images in both.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

gsking

Doug,

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try. Although, I have to admit...I'm kinda spoiled with the whole "one stop shopping, but nothing is permanent" approach of LR.

I guess you can do that with C1 and LC, but it takes outputting an intermediary TIFF file, right? Then do I choose 16 bit Prophoto to get the maximum color data? And then if I delete it, the LR catalog will be corrupt. And memory is cheap, but I haven't sorted out how to archive multiple versions of the same image.

I guess I must not be too picky. I shoot JPG (not RAW) with my DSLR and get (IMHO) better results. Shooting RAW never gives me the same look, and RAW+JPG just gives me more files (as noted above). And LR seems to ignore the JPG anyways.

But if I'm bothering to endure the hassles of MFDB, I can't complain too much about a more tedious workflow. But being able to skip learning a whole 'nother progam is certainly appealing. :)

Anders_HK

I'd suggest you look at Capture One 6 Pro. It does a fantastic job with Leaf files.
Indeed good advise. For my Aptus 65 I prior used Camera RAW. Leaf Capture is more for theathered shooting and thus was simply not useful for me and much too limited in what you could do to raw files. Years back I had tried Captue One and never used it, only to last year try it again and it blew my mind away, simply because it functions just like my brain. With latest updates for Capture One 6 it rocks. It is by far the best raw converter I have used. I basically not use Photoshop because pretty much all can be made in Capture One. Truly excellent and highly recommended.

Regards
Anders