The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture 1, question from a total newbie

Scott G

Like many others I am trying C1 for the first time, and I generally like it. I am comfortable with the processing pieces although there is much more to learn, sessions are no problem, but there are a few things that a driving me a bit crazy.

1) when I export a file to photoshop and convert it to B&W, the file shows up in C1 in color as a thumbnail in the browser, and as B&W in full screen. When I make any edits to it via exposure or other sliders, the image goes back into color, performs the slider function, then goes back to B&W. ????

2) I really like the "browser auto mode", where you can hover the cursor over an area of the screen (in my case on the left) and the browser automatically pops up (similar to the floating panels in LR3).

But when I select an image from the browser in this mode, the numerical input box gets highlighted in the tools menu, waiting for input.
For example, if I select an image, the Kelvin box in the white balance tool (the first tool in the panel) turns white and awaits a numerical input.

If I hit return or escape the box reverses color and things are normal. If I don't or forget to do this, and I want to give an image a color or numerical rating, the image gets a 1 thru 5 or a +/- in the Kelvin setting.

This does not happen if I select an image from the browser in non "auto mode". Is there a way to prevent this, or should I just stop using browser auto mode even though I can scroll though lots of images much faster?

Many thanks for the help!