The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One- Another Newbie Question

G

Gardenerbob

I am so glad I found this forum!:):D

My very basic question is:
I would like to work on an image but preserve the original.

What is the best way to start?

Currently, if I open the image, Capture One 5 will create a folder within the folder of the image. This, to me seems kinda messy.
- I would like to keep all my Capture One work separate from my image library. (As well as keep my original image unchanged).

I went through the Capture One tutorials, but I don't find an answer to my problem. Though I am sure it will be quite simple...

TIA Bob:confused:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I am so glad I found this forum!:):D

My very basic question is:
I would like to work on an image but preserve the original.
TIA Bob:confused:
Capture One does not modify any image data in your image, so your original is always preserved. It only modifies metadata about your image. Basically metadata is information that capture one will use once you decide to render your image file into a usable file format, such as a jpeg or tiff. This information is what is stored in those folders you mentioned.

You create recipes to create your final output files and they typically are stored in the output folder in your session. However, they can be created and stored anywhere if you find it better for your workflow. I believe this is set in the advanced tab of your recipe setup.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If you create sessions inside your existing image library, C1 will add a set of folders it needs to maintain your image adjustment settings. These folders do not take up significant space, and do not alter your raw file in any manner. C1 will use them to find and apply any individual image settings when you next point to that image inside C1. If you point to the image outside of C1, it remains as an original raw file and none of the C1 settings will be applied. Once you understand how C1 works, it is really the most elegant solution for managing raw files available for the very reason it touches nothing in your original raw file folder; the raw is always a raw, period.

G

Gardenerbob

Thanks Guys, I was nervous when I saw the additional folders and such and wondered what happened.- Especially when I was not saving any of the alterations I made with an image.
I Guess I am so used to Capture NX2 ( I know, everyone hates it, but I'm a Nikon guy), that I have a hard time getting used to a new software.
From the little I have done, I am impressed.
Bob

woodyspedden

If you create sessions inside your existing image library, C1 will add a set of folders it needs to maintain your image adjustment settings. These folders do not take up significant space, and do not alter your raw file in any manner. C1 will use them to find and apply any individual image settings when you next point to that image inside C1. If you point to the image outside of C1, it remains as an original raw file and none of the C1 settings will be applied. Once you understand how C1 works, it is really the most elegant solution for managing raw files available for the very reason it touches nothing in your original raw file folder; the raw is always a raw, period.
As to Raw image preservation, both Lightroom and Raw Developer do the same. Photoshop is the one program where care has to be taken to avoid permanently changing the file.