The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MacBook Pro with 30" display?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Time to update our digital darkroom. We are starting by updating my daughter Elizabeths macbook . She currently uses the pre intel Macbook 17 and has been focused on the new macbook pro 15 . We had been thinking that she could use the apple cinema display 30 '' but were told by Apple that it will not drive it.but the 17 in MBP would. I thought this was based on the video card ? Anybody know or have advice.[

D

dlew308

can you adopt me? :)
http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html
All new Mac Pro systems support two Apple Cinema Displays, including dual-link DVI for one 30-inch model.
Any dual- or quad-core Power Mac G5 supports two Apple Cinema Displays, including dual-link DVI for one 30-inch model.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Roger you can run a 30 inch display . I can do it on my older MacBook Pro 2.4 and I normally run the 23 inch on it also. What you need to do though is run it only the monitor that way you hold the native resolution of the monitor . So you hook it up turn on the laptop and close the lid and everything comes up normal resolution on the monitor. You can't run the laptop display and monitor at there native resolutions together , you need to close the lap top lid to get native. BTW works a charm and certainly the way to go

D

DougDolde

That's what I am doing now, but mine's an Eizo CG21. Tell you what though the Macbook Pro (I have the 2.2 Core Two Duo) with 4 gb of ram just doesn't really cut it for heavy duty work. It will bog down if you throw enough at it.

A Mac Pro is at the top of my "to buy" list. Much more power for about the same price.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Roger: I ran my 30" cinema off my MBP while I was waiting for the new MacPros to be released. Bottom line is it worked so well, I almost decided I didn't need a Mac Pro! The only thing you need to know with the 30" is you have to hook the monitor up before you boot, then boot the MBP AND close the lid right away. SOOOOO you'll need an external keyboard too -- I used the wireless one and it worked great... With a 23" display or smaller external, you can run them as dual monitors.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thanks for all the input . We don t see any difference between the 15 and the 17 except for the screen size . Is this correct..they can both be configured essentially the same.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well Doug your files now are much bigger with your Aptus. I will run into the same processing issues myself. We went and bought the big guns and now we need even bigger bullets. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the input . We don t see any difference between the 15 and the 17 except for the screen size . Is this correct..they can both be configured essentially the same.
AFAIK, they both work identically.

neils

I got my 15" MBP a little over a year ago. Apple has now souped them up twice since I got mine I think.

I knew I would run a 23" display at home so I got a 15" MBP. On the road a 15" is fine.

At the time I got mine the max RAM for 15" was 3megs, the 17 would take 4megs. Not sure if that still holds true.

Neil