The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Silver Efex Pro II PC variation after install

Photojazz

Silver Efex II Pro strange Variation on 2 PCs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Tell me this is something simple I just don't know...

I have 2 PCs, one running Vista and one running Windows 7. I'd been running a trial on my Vista box until my academic hard copy of software came via Fed Ex. It did today, so I decided to install on my Windows 7 machine.

Install seemed ok, but what I am getting in my "View" in Silver Efex II Pro is a purple/blueish and yellow casting, image inside silver efex. Once I press save, and go back to LR3, my black and white conversion looks normal, and as it should.

The confusing part for me is it operates normally on one machine, but instances are being opened from LR3 catalog, I have even opened the same image. I had done nothing different on the initial run, nothing at all that I am aware of.

Anyone have any ideas what could be going on here? I am running Radeon graphics on the W7 HP PC. Graphics is about the only thing I can think of that could be an issue, but I don't see how if the files look ok in LR3 though.

Also, it does not matter if I come into NIK Silver Efex II Pro via LR3 or CS5, the results when I get inside the BW conversion software are same, I see the purple/blue on low contrast areas I think or darker areas and yellow casting on highlights brightest areas it seems, it is really more like a "low contrast" or "highlight" setting maybe, showing the extremes

Further, I checked for updates, none available.

As a exercise of testing, I did a BW conversion in LR3, so there is no color in image. I opened in Silver Efex II, and the blue/yellow areas are still blue and yellow as before. It appears to be a contrast, highlight visibility setting of some kind that was by default on with the CD install version, but not the download version I installed previously on my Vista box. I may be reaching here, but this is a possibility. I could delete it, download it again and see if download version takes care of this, but I will wait and see if I can find any expertise before doing so that has experienced what I have here...

here is sample of what it's doing

Last edited:

Photojazz

As you can see, the problem does go away once back into LR3. Very unusual. I looked all over to see if it was something unusual in settings, I just don't see it.

Photojazz

Just tried a reinstall from NIK demo online, instead of installing from disk. Results are same, color hue remains. I guess will be contacting Nik and using my Vista box for all BW conversions until resolution can be found.

E

EdK

Just tried a reinstall from NIK demo online, instead of installing from disk. Results are same, color hue remains. I guess will be contacting Nik and using my Vista box for all BW conversions until resolution can be found.
Not a solution for you by any means - just want to say that SEP 2 runs perfectly on my Win 7 PC and to assure you that it can be done (but I'm sure you knew that).

Based on what you describe - same results with LR & CS & a B&W input - it seems that the only common denominator (apart from SEP2) is the graphics card. Have you tried going into SEP2's Settings menu and disabling the card (be sure to restart SEP2 after doing this for it to take effect)? Just a thought as during the Beta tests strange results traceable to various graphics processing units were uncovered. Worth a try.