The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Folder structures for image library?

Simon M.

I'm curious what type of folder structure other forum members are using for storing there images, specifically those members who use capture one as there main editor (LR lets you be less stringent about file locations in my experience).

My current structure separates raw files based on location then year (e.g. Images/Raw/Canada/Alberta/LakeLouise/2009, Images/Raw/USA/Utah/SaltLakeCity/2011) and output files based on type (e.g. Images/ProcessedImages/HighResTiff, Image/ProcessedImages/jpegWeb). I've over the years found this to be tedious, especially when using the library tools in CaptureOne.

Any hints? What works well for you? Thanks for any help.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I start with year, then have subfolders for date (month or month and day) and a shoot title as makes sense. FWIW, C1 does not care one iota where I put these, so is not "stringent" about it at all. I do happen to put them all on a large (6TB) RAID-0 internal image array, which is in turn backed up to an external JBOD array, which is in turn backed up to a third off-site JBOD array.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I use the LR3 structure, which is also of the form 2010/2010-12-03. I have a separate directory tree for web output, which I rsync with my server. Prints are stored in the same directory as the raw, kept stacked in LR3. I keep prints as lossless JPEGs with the output profile as the color space. (These files are never edited, they're just kept in case I want to reprint. For a different printer, size, paper, ink, etc I create a different print kept as a different file.)

rga

Hi Jack,
That's pretty much what I do too, but with LR. I'm transitioning over to C1 and am glad to hear I can do the same thing.
One thing I haven't been able to find is how to import to C1 without moving the files from the directory they're in. In LR you use the "Add" function rather than the "Move" function. Is there any such ability in C1? I need to do this because I only want to process my MFB files in C1 and continue to process my other files in LR. So I import the files to LR into the directory I want and then I would like to import some of the IIQ files (without moving/duplicating files).
Thanks for any guidance you can give,
Bob

I start with year, then have subfolders for date (month or month and day) and a shoot title as makes sense. FWIW, C1 does not care one iota where I put these, so is not "stringent" about it at all. I do happen to put them all on a large (6TB) RAID-0 internal image array, which is in turn backed up to an external JBOD array, which is in turn backed up to a third off-site JBOD array.