The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Plustek OpticFilm 7600i SE film scanner - any experiences ?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I'm trying to figure out a way to process Black & White 35mm film:

- development
- scanning
- printing (Black & White only ?)

Is a Plustek OpticFilm 7600i SE film scanner a good solution for the scanning part ?
Is it at least better than the cheaper Canon CanoScan 9000F ?
And is the resulting quality not too far from the (even used) far more expensive Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED film scanner ?

And does a Black & White only photo printer exist ?

Any advices and recommendations would be appreciated.

Is a Plustek OpticFilm 7600i SE film scanner a good solution for the scanning part ?

Yes

Is it at least better than the cheaper Canon CanoScan 9000F ?

Don't know

And is the resulting quality not too far from the (even used) far more expensive Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED film scanner ?

It's close. Do a search on http://www.luminous-landscape.com

And does a Black & White only photo printer exist ?

Yes. Several printers don't use color ink. They use different tones of gray/black ink. There are more expensive laser based options too.

My advice is to scan as a color RGB image. Convert to B&W during post processing. I use Lightroom. Send your prints to an on-line vendor that specializes in B&W printing. I use MPIX.

Developing a scanning method that meets your needs is a tine-consuming process. This is not that different than learning how to print in a wet-chemistry darkroom.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Does anyone have any recommendations on dedicated "Black & White only" photo printers ?

mathomas

From what I understand, modern color printers do pretty well at B&W. Some third-party manufacturers make B&W ink sets (and probably require a custom RIP to use them) for pure B&W work. I say this because I'd recommend getting a color printer and using it for B&W. Otherwise, you may"paint" yourself into a corner with a B&W-only printer. Maybe you will fall in love with split-toning (as I am), or will want to get the look of sepia or cyanotype in a given print.

sirimiri

The Canon Pixma Pro9500 variants have about 30% of their cartridge allotment dedicated to black and grey tanks (matte black, photo black and grey).

They are very credible mixed color/b+w printers, and Canon runs bundle rebates on them so often, that there is what I jokingly refer to as the "Pixma Flood" about twice a year where new, in box printers sans UPC codes show up on Craigslist at "reasonable" prices. You might consider one of these. The B+W prints it makes are quite good, in my opinion.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thank you for your advices, hints and links, Mike, Randy and Sirimiri. Much appreciated :thumbup:

I'll have to take a deeper look into it and do some more thinking.
One difficulty is that I know too little about printers and profiles and RIPs and ink types etc. in general, and english is even not my native language.
Another is that I'm in Europe while the companies are often in US.
There's so much of this stuff that I don't know about or don't understand.

But thank you so far, I'll probably be back with more questions :)

There's a review of the Canoscan 9000F in February's Shutterbug, available on their website. David Brooks, who's been at this a long time and reviewed many scanners (including the Plusteks, also available there), found it quite capable. YMMV.