The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New PC advise for Medium Format

gurtch

Hello all:
First, I am not a Pro. I am a retired 74 year old engineer. I am very fortunate in that I found a nice niche printing, mounting, matting, framing and selling my seascape prints. I make big prints (13"x19", 16"x24" 24"x30" and 24"x32". I have been using a 1DS III, and Alpha 900 full frame cameras, and up until now, my PC with 4 gb ram was able to struggle along. In December I added a Pentax 645D. The files are much bigger, and my PC is choking. Quite often in Photoshop I get an OUT OF RAM error message. I am on a budget. I went to HP's site and "confgured" a PC, but my expertise in state of the art PCs is limited. My criteria is:
1. I need a firewire to run my Polaroid 120 Sprintscan medium format/35mm film scanner
2. I figured I should get 16 gb ram
3. I presently have two hard drives, one for programs, one for files...I would like to retain that configuration
4. I do not need a monitor, keyboard, or mouse (I use a Wacom Tablet). I do not need speakers.

I configured an HPE560z as follows:
1. Windows 7 Home 64 bit
2. AMD Phenom II x6 1075 six-core processor (3.0 GHZ, 3MB L2+6MB L3 shared, up to 4000 Mhz)
3. 16 GB DDR-3-1333 Mhz SDRAM (4 DIMMS)
4. Primary drive: 1TB 7200 RPM 3gb/s SATA Hard Drive
5. Secondary drive: Same as above
6. Graphics Card: 1 GB DDR3 AMD Radeon HD 6450 (DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter) (NOTE: The PC will not be used for games, etc)
7. Primary Optical Drive: LightScribe 16x max DVD+/-R/RW (NOTE: I have a modern external USB Blu-Ray burner).
8. "Productivity Port" (on front of PC): 15-in 1 memory card reader, 1 USB, and one 1394, and audio)
Can anyone comment? BTW the price as configured is $1,308.
Thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ
www.modernpictorials.com

Report to moderator 68.44.206.107

Pages: [1] Top of Page