The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cataloging and Keywording?

Marc Wilson

Hi all,

I currently use 3 different programmes for my digital files.
Photomechanic for quick editing that I really believe can't be bettered...it's so simple, does just one thing and does it really quick!

Then C1 for raw conversion which I like but have never really compared its converting to others in a detailed level and then I use iview media (expression media) for cataloging & keywording.

(Then PS for final checking, some sharpening , preparing for print, borders, etc.)

Like I said I'd never give up photomechanic for quick initial editing but in terms of cataloging, keywording, how do other programmes compare to iview media pro (expression media). It works but I've never really felt at one with it, especially the (in my opinion) cumbersome keywording.
So for instance is lightroom much better for that even if I first continued to convert the raw files in C1?...or is the converting in C1 difference to the others so negligable to make that an extra step to much?

Or is lightroom too much simply for cataloging and keywording?

What other cataloging programmes do you use?

I never print directly from any of these programmes so that does not affect me at all.

I'm asking as I'm looking for user experiences but also I think it could make a good thread about image organisation.

Marc

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Marc,

I am using the same three programs and I do the keywording in Photo Mechanic. I use Photo Mechanic to import (ingest) the images and some initial keywording on import but not for any editing. I will subsequently add keywords to individual files or groups of files using Photo Mechanic.