Site Sponsors

Thread: Capture One/Helicon Focus/Pano stitch workflow

Post Thanks / Like

Capture One/Helicon Focus/Pano stitch workflow

I am looking to learn the best sequence of steps to take tiffs from C1, stitch them using PS, and layer for depth of field using Helicon Focus, and then take to LR3 (or bring back to C1) for further adjustment, printing, etc.

Can anyone offer their workflow and suggestions?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Capture One/Helicon Focus/Pano stitch workflow

Best approach is to process the individual files out to tiffs, then take the single frames into Helicon and stack them BEFORE assembling the pano, then assemble the pano from the individual HF stacks. By assembling the panos then attempting the stack, you end up with different assemblages on the panos that are virtually impossible to line-up/register.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly how Jack described. This is the IQ 180 back shot 5 frames in a focus stack than helicon. I did go back in on the final and replace the sky since i did get some ghosting in the clouds. Need to watch for moving objects and the sky is one of them on a windy day. So took one frame the infinity frame and replaced.

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy and Jack.

I assume that the size of the combined image in the end is equal to the sum of all the mb's of all the images? Are there any limits on size when you go to import the final image into LR? I can see everything coming to a grinding halt due to image size, especially considering the size of P65+/IQ180 files (I won't have quite that much to deal with using a P30).

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL The files is the same as one image. I did this on my laptop. Helicon is very very fast . Processing the IQ 180 files is another matter. Actually its not bad
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, that's reassuring. I guess you're saying I'm OK to go ahead and buy the IQ180 then....Ha!

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, jack,

Do you see any loss of image quality ( tonal range, sharpness) occurring as a result of all the processing steps involved?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No loss of tonality or net detail, however with Helicon there is sometimes "feathering" or "ghosting" that can occur during the blend, so you need to be hyper vigilant with your settings and then use the mask and brush in difficult areas. With the pano blend, you will get some geometric distortion as the software "corrects" for curved horizons or leaning verticals. In the end, the results always impress me. Note that I find I get the best results shooting with normal to longer lenses compared to short lenses -- IOW you typically get a better result if use your normal lens and take say 8 vertical images than use your wide lens and take 3 or 4 horizontal images.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Stoney

You can call focus stacking software from Autopano Giga 2.5 using the stacks function. Other focus stacking software you might consider is Zerene stacker. There is also Combine ZP and ZM that are freely available.

Post Thanks / Like

Jack, have you compared any of the other softwares that Stoney mentions? The demo images on the Helicon look good. Cheers, KL