The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Scripting loss on CS5

aboudd

About two weeks ago I noticed that I lost the CS5 presets for Curves, Levels, etc.I have spent over 5 hours on the phone to Adobe with no solution in sight.
They had me de-install and re-install the software twice, as well as eliminating all preferences, their standard solution to almost everything, and of course, it did no work.

When I try to use automate or scripting functions, I get a "Javascript code was missing message" - so none of these functions work. Has anybody else had this problem? What is the solution?

By the way, it affects both CS4 and CS5 on my desktop MAC.

Thanks for your help

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I was getting the same message when trying to use Jack's re-size for web actions. Although, it didn't effect the other stock PS actions. I PMed him and he was kind enough to send me a revised script that was re-written for Snow Leopard (I think that's the reason). Now they work perfectly. So, I'm just throwing out the idea that your actions might be effected by Snow Leopard? (Which doesn't really cut it if you were working with the Apple techies.) Have you kept up with the software updates from Apple? Quirky little problem you have there.

Best of luck!
Tim

aboudd

Hi Tim,

It's not actions, I haven't tried any so I don't know it may affect them too. It is the presets and scripting for merge that are not working. Of course I have updated everything and I am using OS 10.6.7, so that shouldn't be the problem. Yes, Apple was useless and so is Adobe. Everything was working fine until two weeks ago. I cannot find anyone who seems to know what to do. Especially at Adobe.

aboudd

I tried a couple of actions, they ar working well. It is the presets that are affected and the merge and image processor functions.

ustein

Contributing Editor
As you may know I sell scripts and sometimes my customers have the same issues. In most cases re-setting the CS5 preferences helps (you may lose other settings though).

On Mac: Command+Option+Shift holding down while stating CS5 from the Dock.

But maybe you first check whether you lost your ScriptingSuppor Plugin: should be in Photoshop CS5/Plugins/Extensions

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Backtrack with Time Machine?

Save the presets from a prior image and install anew?

Just a thought.

Bob

aboudd

Problem, at long last solved. Someone named Muppet Mark on the Adobe forums sent me a link to a posting about this scripting failure issue "javascript code missing." About an hour later I got a return call from an Adobe expert tech Chris. I mentioned the posting and he told me he wanted me to look up a document on Adobe's web site. It was exactly that issue!

In case anybody else runs into this, Adobe finally came up with the answer, which they dealt with in March as this problem became apparent. A few weeks ago I reorganized my three hard drives. I like to name them for content, so I named one Apps/OS/Data. After 7 hours on the phone with Adobe over a two week period, Chris came up with an advisory that said the string "apps" cannot be in the path leading to the CS5.app on the hard drive. That is why the scripts and presets couldn't be found. the solution, renaming the hard drive, took a few seconds and voila' the issue was resolved.

While I appreciate the solution at long last, I asked the Adobe tech why it took so long for me to get to someone who could give me the solution. I also made searches on Abobe's site, through Google (with no useful results) and through several forums. He said the entry level techs just didn't understand the problem and that the information wasn't wide spread because they didn't expect people to rename their hard drives. He said they were now going to send out an advisory to the support line on this issue.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. My little CS5 nightmare is over.

mathomas

I'm a software guy. This made me say "wow". It's hard to believe a company like Adobe would build in such a goofy assumption into their code. Actually, no ... after 25 years in the industry it's not hard to believe: It's just sad.

Godfrey

Interesting if weird problem, glad you found the solution.

BTW, you shouldn't name file or volumes in Mac OS X with the '/' character in the file name anyway. '/' is a reserved character as it is a file path separater in UNIX: using it in file names forces all kinds of odd file name string manipulations to occur behind the scenes and can cause hard to diagnose errors.

I also name volumes for their content but use a functional schema:

Startup or Home
Photos
Videos
Sounds {or just Data1, Data2, etc.}
Backup1, Backup2 ...
TimeMachine
Portable1, ...

Et cetera.

aboudd

Actually I didn't use the / if I recall, I was just using it as a shortcut in my posting. I use a similar concept to yours, I just no longer use "apps". ;-)