Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: What happened? Purple fringe -

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    What happened? Purple fringe -

    Hi everyone-

    What happened with this photo?

    When editing the photo in LR3, I noticed that there was some purple fringing around the face. Easiest viewed with the original size file.

    And what is the best method to get rid of it.

    This was taken with a 50mm lux ASPH and M9.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepaks...n/photostream/

    Your expertise is greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Try processing it in C1 and clicking the purple fringe tool in lens corrections. I find that one of the weakest areas for Adobe is dealing with purple fringing...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Thank you Jack --- unfortunately, I may not be able to get C1 just yet.

    Is there any way to prevent something like this?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    38
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    The purple fringing is an artifact that is associated with over exposure. The sky behind his head is severely overexposed. Purple fringing can be caused by chromatic aberation from the sensor micro lenses. Of course this has nothing to do with the longitudinal and lateral CA associated with some camera lenses. Sometime it is caused by sensor overflow where strong voltage/current bleeds into adjacent sensor sites. This only occurs when there is gross over exposure.

    The sensor-lens CA is there all the time, but the level is so low the artifact never gets digitized. But over exposure increases the artifact amplitude and now there is enough signal to merit more than 1 bit of information.

    If you shoot in RAW, sometimes you can expose for the sky and then pull the shadow areas up. The best solution is to use a low level of fill flash. I have no experience with removing purple fringing during post-processing.

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Unfortunately, fringing is a fact of life with digital capture and overexposed backgrounds butting up against backlit edges.

    In the case of this specific image, the Fringe correction in the most recent version of Adobe Lightroom (or ACR in Bridge) is perfectly up to the task.

    When faced with more difficult purple fringing issues than this example, I sometimes also use the individual color corrections pallet ... select purple and use the sliders to reduce saturation and levels until any residual fringing is gone or far less apparent at size.

    Here is a blow-up of your image from the small jpg you linked to ... so the saw-tooth edges would not be present in the original full sized file ... but it shows what clicking the Fringe correction did to it.

    -Marc

  6. #6
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Marc's individual color correction will rarely cause an overall shift in color balance...if so apply a mask in a new layer for only the fringe area of the picture with his technique - in Photoshop.


    Bob

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Thanks so much Marc and Bob

    Ive got LR 3.3 - when I select "defringe" under Lens Corrections and then select either all edges or highlight edges, Im still not getting as good of a result as you did. Is there another setting Im missing, or I need to upgrade to 3.4?

    Thanks again!

  8. #8
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Edmund,

    Just so you are aware, you can download a 30-day trial of C1 --- So you may want to try it out and see if it will work for you, but be advised it may also spur a purchase!

    The de-saturation trick is fine as long as there are not any other purples, high reds or low blues in the image, as they all will desaturate and/or can shift significantly in color. And yes, you can mask it out, but it's starts to be a lot of work. It's what I used to do before C1 myself.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  9. #9
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Capture One's tool for this is ahead of all others in quality.

    Surprisingly it's also the easiest to use. Just click the box and wait 1-3 seconds for it to kick in. Copy-Apply this setting to other images as needed.

  10. #10
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Capture One's tool for this is ahead of all others in quality.

    Surprisingly it's also the easiest to use. Just click the box and wait 1-3 seconds for it to kick in. Copy-Apply this setting to other images as needed.
    Sorry to chime in, but this is an absolutely wrong statement when it comes to Nikon NEF files. NX is vastly superior in resolving any kind of fringing than C1 on those.

    Not a big matter, and NX is certainly not a good catalog SW nor a batch processor, but it's always surprising to read such bold general statements.

    C1 is a good piece of SW, but there are others.
    Depending on your equipment and needs, LR / NX / RC / Phocus / Cpature are all extremely capable.

  11. #11
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Sorry to chime in, but this is an absolutely wrong statement when it comes to Nikon NEF files. NX is vastly superior in resolving any kind of fringing than C1 on those.

    Not a big matter, and NX is certainly not a good catalog SW nor a batch processor, but it's always surprising to read such bold general statements.

    C1 is a good piece of SW, but there are others.
    Depending on your equipment and needs, LR / NX / RC / Phocus / Cpature are all extremely capable.
    You know what, my statement was too bold, and also out of character. I should have said what I know for sure: for the vast majority of images and the vast majority of processors I have worked with C1 stands out as excelling at purple fringing. Notably against ACR, LR, and Aperture with Phase, Leaf, Canon, Leica, and Sony files with which I've done the most competitive testing.

    Sometimes I'm tempted to chime in with brief and broad statements, and usually I avoid that temptation but in this case I did not. And that was wrong. My apologies.

    Glad to hear Nikon users have another good option, at least as regards purple fringing.

  12. #12
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    You know what, my statement was too bold, and also out of character. I should have said what I know for sure: for the vast majority of images and the vast majority of processors I have worked with C1 stands out as excelling at purple fringing. Notably against ACR, LR, and Aperture with Phase, Leaf, Canon, Leica, and Sony files with which I've done the most competitive testing.

    Sometimes I'm tempted to chime in with brief and broad statements, and usually I avoid that temptation but in this case I did not. And that was wrong. My apologies.

    Glad to hear Nikon users have another good option, at least as regards purple fringing.

    Doug, don't need to get sarcastic here.

    Simply you tend to make it sound repeatedly as if C1 was the universal best solution for everything -and it's simply not the case.

    Took Nikon as an example because i could have backed it up instantly.

    As for your list, good for you. "Ahead of all others" minus the one cited is still rich. Exceptio probat regulam, eh?

    Working with several SW, and having strictly no dog in the fight, i'm just saying: C1 is a super program. So are others, depending on needs and practices. That's all.

    Marc's example from LR above is a good illustration, btw.

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    rayyan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,887
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    I generally handle all sorts of fringing in a simple, amateur way.

    I convert to B&W. Removes the color too. But the fringing don't bother me no more!

    Regards.

  14. #14
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Doug, don't need to get sarcastic here.
    I wasn't being sarcastic. I absolutely agree that my statement was too broad, too bold, and was not in my normal character of commenting specifically and conservatively.

    Seriously - not sarcastic. Sorry if it read that way. I was actually saying you were right and I was apologizing.

  15. #15
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    I generally handle all sorts of fringing in a simple, amateur way.

    I convert to B&W. Removes the color too. But the fringing don't bother me no more!
    In more dramatic B&W conversions purple fringing and chromatic aberration can have a very negative impact on the image. If purples/blues are being darkened then purple fringing can create dark halos. If greens are being lightened then half the edges will be highlighted in a bright halo.

    In an Pseudo IR conversion for instance both the blues are darkened and the greens are brightened. This can lead to very ugly looking details in an image with lots of chromatic aberration and purple fringing - unless those are addressed first and converted to B+W after.

    Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    __________________

    Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

    National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

  16. #16
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Doug -no problem whatsoever.

    If you don't mind, got two questions for you as a C1 specialist:

    1/ on a related subject (fringing): would you have any advice how to deal with strong lateral CA (usually greenish is an issue) with shiny surfaces within C1?
    There too, getting good results on NEF files with NX, but again it's certainly not a batch able processor, more usable for small sessions. And, limited to Nikon files. When working with Canon or MF files, i often end up using local desaturation + color balance in PS. No fun.

    2/ totally OT, but would you know why in the world C1 doesn't propose the native camera profiles for CaNikon DSLRs. Not too much of an issue with some (D700, 5DII...), but as said several times by many users, the D3X's for example just s*ck. So, back to NX for single/few files, and LR/ACR for the larger sessions.
    Just wondering whether it's a choice from Phase, or if there's some proprietary stuff or technical compatibility issues involved.
    And, incidentally, whether we could hope seeing them implemented down the road.

    (sorry for the OT on the last part)

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    205
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Quote Originally Posted by edmund View Post
    Thanks so much Marc and Bob

    Ive got LR 3.3 - when I select "defringe" under Lens Corrections and then select either all edges or highlight edges, Im still not getting as good of a result as you did. Is there another setting Im missing, or I need to upgrade to 3.4?

    Thanks again!
    Im not getting as good of a result as you did -- am I doing something wrong?

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Quote Originally Posted by edmund View Post
    Im not getting as good of a result as you did -- am I doing something wrong?
    I don't know ... v3.4 is free so why not download it?

    I was using a blow up of your little jpeg to work from which also may account for a difference. I always do these corrections on a 100% or 200% screen view.

    In LR you can also open the file in PS and save it back to the LR Library ... and apply the fringe control a second time.

    If it isn't enough just do a simple feathered selection of the offending areas and use the purple or magenta slider.

    This happens so infrequently it wouldn't spur me to use C1 Pro and lose all the speed of Lightroom when processing a lot of shots. But for anything critical, I pop into C1 for really tough images or ones that need really accurate color.

    C1 (and Hasselblad's Phocus for 3F files) are much better than LR for that kind of work.

    -Marc

  19. #19
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    it wouldn't spur me to use C1 Pro and lose all the speed of Lightroom when processing a lot of shots.
    Cough... cough..... Marc, it sounds like something is wrong with your C1 installation if LR is significantly "faster" on the conversions...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  20. #20
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Doug -no problem whatsoever.

    If you don't mind, got two questions for you as a C1 specialist:

    1/ on a related subject (fringing): would you have any advice how to deal with strong lateral CA (usually greenish is an issue) with shiny surfaces within C1?
    There too, getting good results on NEF files with NX, but again it's certainly not a batch able processor, more usable for small sessions. And, limited to Nikon files. When working with Canon or MF files, i often end up using local desaturation + color balance in PS. No fun.

    2/ totally OT, but would you know why in the world C1 doesn't propose the native camera profiles for CaNikon DSLRs. Not too much of an issue with some (D700, 5DII...), but as said several times by many users, the D3X's for example just s*ck. So, back to NX for single/few files, and LR/ACR for the larger sessions.
    Just wondering whether it's a choice from Phase, or if there's some proprietary stuff or technical compatibility issues involved.
    And, incidentally, whether we could hope seeing them implemented down the road.

    (sorry for the OT on the last part)
    I'm not Doug, but I will try to answer #1: If I understand your question, you go to the lens correction tool check "enable" in the "Chromatic Aberration" box. The "default" mode is preselected in the dropdown window and it typically works very well for light to moderate CA. However, for more complex CA try the "analyze" option -- this will take a second to analyze the CA and then re-render your image with a dedicated CA removal file using the image name. I have found it to be excellent for older glass with lots of visible CA.

    Sorry, have no idea on number 2.

    Hope that helps,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: What happened? Purple fringe -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Cough... cough..... Marc, it sounds like something is wrong with your C1 installation if LR is significantly "faster" on the conversions...
    You and Guy are persistent Jack, I'll give you that

    I mean the over-all non-destructive work-flow and set of tools Lightroom provides ... but you knew that.

    However, there are just some cases where C1 is the best choice .... which is why I keep it up to date on my machine.

    -Marc

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •