The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SilkyPix

Lili

I am really starting to get into Post Processing.
I started with S7Raw on my S6000fd and have started working with the Pentax Photo Laboratory that came with my K100D.
It is based on SilkyPix, I have heard a lot of folks talking about how they like it.
Now I am looking at softwre to work with RAW files from GRD.
Has anyone here any experience with or comments about SilkyPix?

Terry

I never bothered to learn SilkyPix. Some people really like it although it is univerally stated that the instructions and nomenclature used by the program are an abomination (Read what DPReview wrote about it in the FZ8 review). I know there is a new version but I don't know if they have improved the experience for English speakers.

Robert Campbell

I never bothered to learn SilkyPix. Some people really like it although it is univerally stated that the instructions and nomenclature used by the program are an abomination (Read what DPReview wrote about it in the FZ8 review). I know there is a new version but I don't know if they have improved the experience for English speakers.
There was a review in the english "Amateur Photographer" a while back, with the same conclusions - the peculiar nomenclature and strange instructions got in the way of using the program to its best abilities.

helenhill

Sean Reid spoke highly of Silkypix & recommended it on this site.....

I MISS Sean !!

Best- helen :)

jonoslack

There was a review in the english "Amateur Photographer" a while back, with the same conclusions - the peculiar nomenclature and strange instructions got in the way of using the program to its best abilities.
Ah Bertie
But Trusting Amateur Photographer is almost as bizarre as recommending Windoze!
:p:p:p

Robert Campbell

AP also had a review of Aperture and as I remember found it quite good: if I can't trust AP, does this mean that Aperture is rubbish? :)

AP's main problem with Silkypix was the difficulty using it, not the end results. If a program isn't intuitive, I tend not to use it.

I find LR2 does most of what I want, and is easy to use; and Aperture seems to be very similar in terms of ease of use and results; I would recommend either of them to ordinary mortals.

Lili

cam

I miss Sean too :(
And Mitch :(
Mitch has 2 threads and some photos on DPR (Ricoh forum). he's been using Aperture to process his RAW, then Nik Capture to play with the files. i really like the look he's been getting. it's different than what he was doing before (in some shots, at least) -- not quite the same harshness but much more lush.

Lili

Cam, I saw those and agree, they are 'richer' looking.
Sadly Aperture is Mac only :(
Trying a trial version of Lightroom right now
ALso have trial version of Silkypix

archiM44

Raw Developer gives me excellent results with LX3 files and I greatly prefer it to Silky Pix which I also have.http://www.iridientdigital.com/
The only thing is that I believe Silky Pix corrects the distortion and Raw Developer does not, so you have to correct that using Ptlens or lensfixCl for architectural shots at 24mm.
I have found that programs which correct the distortion tend to have less sharpness at the edges than Raw Developer which for shots where the distortion isn't a problem is preferable.
Maurice