Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Question for MAC users: Lion today?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Question for MAC users: Lion today?

Quote Originally Posted by Braeside View Post
    I tend to use tabs in Safari so don't usually have multiple Safari windows open, hence don't use App Expose so much, but thanks for reminding me about it.

I work in tabbed browsing as well but I use twitter as essentially a scrolling news service. Each tweet has a link and each link opens up as a new web page and isn't smart enough to tab. So, I either have to be very tidy and close every page as I go along or I end up with many pages open. The implementation on my iPad/iPhone is much better as a link pulls up the webpage with the twitter application and to get back to your twitter feed you must close the web page. Much faster and tidier.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of options for the gestures aren't there Terry? It sometimes gets a bit confusing between the different ones on the Magic Mouse and the MBP Trackpad.

I tend to use tabs in Safari so don't usually have multiple Safari windows open, hence don't use App Expose so much, but thanks for reminding me about it.

I'm back to "unnatural" scrolling again this morning.
    I'm finding using the full screen mode in Safari on the MBP13 screen is great, but overwhelming when I'm on the 27" display where the layered window approach seems more sensible. There are definitely differences in how best to use a system linked to screen size and available room to navigate.

Interesting: Multiple Safari windows show up as separate spaces in Mission Control, you slide between them.

I'm trying to use the unnatural scrolling direction again too. It would be easier to retrain my fingers if there weren't the scroller bar appearing giving me an inverse visual cue as to what I'm trying to do when I pull down vs up. The scroller indicator pops up and my hand wants to follow its motion. I think that's what's really discomfiting about it. On the iPad, the scroller indication is so small it's hardly noticeable and doesn't distract.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

Interesting: Multiple Safari windows show up as separate spaces in Mission Control, you slide between them.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

I'm not using spaces so when I go into mission control I get a stack of Safari pages and I can chose one to click on. I'm getting there with either the Mission Control on the dock, the old expose key on my keyboard or three finger upward swipe.

If I do a three finger downward swipe. I get all of the Safari pages individually split up similar to how expose used to work. The three finger downward swipe gesture is called App Expose in System Preferences.

Post Thanks / Like

How's Aperture working for you guys? I just transfered only 6 Pentax PEF raw files to Aperture 3.1.3 and exported them in JPEG with no extra PP and the whole laptop became hellishly sluggish for several minutes. A 2008 MBP with 4GB. Aperture has been a bit too slow before also, but not like this.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

I'm not using spaces so when I go into mission control I get a stack of Safari pages and I can chose one to click on. I'm getting there with either the Mission Control on the dock, the old expose key on my keyboard or three finger upward swipe.

If I do a three finger downward swipe. I get all of the Safari pages individually split up similar to how expose used to work. The three finger downward swipe gesture is called App Expose in System Preferences.
    OK, I just figured out what Godfrey is seeing. In App Expose doesn't work in full screen mode. In full screen mode Lion considers each Safari page to be the equivalent of occupying a "space".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    How's Aperture working for you guys? I just transfered only 6 Pentax PEF raw files to Aperture 3.1.3 and exported them in JPEG with no extra PP and the whole laptop became hellishly sluggish for several minutes. A 2008 MBP with 4GB. Aperture has been a bit too slow before also, but not like this.
    Seems fine here on a 2101 MBP with 8GB RAM. Maybe more RAM is helping I don't know. I did use it with 4GB in SL and it was OK in Aperture, but I haven't tried 4GB with Lion.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey,

Yes the fullscreen Safari is good on my MBP 13 also. Have not installed Lion on a larger Mac myself yet to try it but I can imagine what you mean.

To clarify I am using what Apple might define as unnatural scrolling. I suddenly thought, why am I putting myself through this? - I have the choice of keeping what I am used to and it works just fine for me.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding Aperture, the Fullscreen mode in Lion is not what I expected it might be, it is actually the normal fullscreen mode that Aperture has always used.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I work in tabbed browsing as well but I use twitter as essentially a scrolling news service. Each tweet has a link and each link opens up as a new web page and isn't smart enough to tab. So, I either have to be very tidy and close every page as I go along or I end up with many pages open. The implementation on my iPad/iPhone is much better as a link pulls up the webpage with the twitter application and to get back to your twitter feed you must close the web page. Much faster and tidier.
    Understand Terry, thanks. I take it you have tried all combinations of Safari preferences for Tabs and new windows still open?
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

I finally found where scrolling speed for trackpad or mouse can be set:

System preferences > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options

Why it wasn't in Mouse or TrackPad was puzzling me.
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To clarify I am using what Apple might define as unnatural scrolling. I suddenly thought, why am I putting myself through this? - I have the choice of keeping what I am used to and it works just fine for me.
    Hi David - and Godfrey
    Of course I was tongue in cheek when talking of right and wrong. it's each to his own. It probably depends what pointing device you're using, today it's a magic mouse, but usually I use a touchpad for scrolling.

I understand completely about the scroll-bar - but you can always grab it if that's what you like. I'm still convinced the new way is 'better' . . . but I have to admit that I'm not used to it yet, and my 'muscle memory' thinks it's stupid!

And although I agree that wars have been fought over which way the loo paper is rolled . . . . I don't think we need to have one about this!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Slightly off topic, but there are certain things I have never liked about the Mac OS and maybe it's because I just don't know all the ways it can be customized or used. Perhaps someone here can set me straight. Here is the number one thing that annoys me: In the Mac Finder, it seems I can only re-size a window by grabbing the lower right corner. By contrast, in Windows OS, I can re-size a window by grabbing any corner or any side of the window. Is there a way in the Mac OS to do what I can do in Windows OS? Sorry for getting a little off topic here.

My main computers are PCs running Windows 7, but I frequently use my 15 inch Macbook Pro, just for the fun of trying something different.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary,

What you want is a "feature" of the Lion OS. See http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...s-x-10-7.ars/4

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    In the Mac Finder, it seems I can only re-size a window by grabbing the lower right corner. By contrast, in Windows OS, I can re-size a window by grabbing any corner or any side of the window. Is there a way in the Mac OS to do what I can do in Windows OS?
    Gary,

I guess Apple heard you, 'cause that's changed in Mac OS Lion. Now you can re-size just like Windows, like Steve said.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    I guess Apple heard you, 'cause that's changed in Mac OS Lion. Now you can re-size just like Windows, like Steve said.
    LOL! Mac OS is significantly older than Windows, the windowing UI design guidelines are really getting the first major update since 1984 in Lion. I remember several design changes along this line in the 1990s that most of us working on them deemed too ugly to ship. :-)

They've done it in a nicely uncluttered way, so I'm happy. now about that reverse window scrolling business... :-)

Post Thanks / Like

LOL! Mac OS is significantly older than Windows, the windowing UI design guidelines are really getting the first major update since 1984 in Lion. I remember several design changes along this line in the 1990s that most of us working on them deemed too ugly to ship. :-)

They've done it in a nicely uncluttered way, so I'm happy. now about that reverse window scrolling business... :-)
    We seem to have gone back to 1984 with the monochrome sidebar icons too
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

We seem to have gone back to 1984 with the monochrome sidebar icons too
    I have always preferred monochrome bits like that, I find little color icons and things distracting and hard to see clearly. Personal taste.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Godfrey,

I felt the colours helped quickly identify things. A bit like Favicons do in bookmarks.

Its not consistent either, the home folder "house" is still shown in colour in the top bar of the finder window, yet grey in the sidebar. 10.8 will be 8 bit dithered b&W I suppose.

I do like monochrome in photo apps, but not in the Finder. Wished they had given us the choice.
    David Anderson

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I cleaned an internal drive in my MacPro and installed Lion late last night. I love the new mail. The scrolling thing is easy to change so essentially a non-issue, but then I use a traditional mouse with a scroll wheel.

The real deal breaker for me is that some of the Adobe suite apps (specifically Illustrator) are not recognizing open fonts. A design I did in Snow shows my fonts perfectly. Open the same design under Lion in Illustrator and even though the fonts are "open" via my font management software, they refuse to show up and are being replaced with something vanilla.

Until that's fixed (by Adobe?) my Lion will remain dormant.

Best,
    Tim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Godfrey,

I felt the colours helped quickly identify things. A bit like Favicons do in bookmarks.

Its not consistent either, the home folder "house" is still shown in colour in the top bar of the finder window, yet grey in the sidebar. 10.8 will be 8 bit dithered b&W I suppose.

I do like monochrome in photo apps, but not in the Finder. Wished they had given us the choice.
    I don't know what "Favicons" are. Obviously, I've never used them. ;-)

De gustibus non disputandem.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Adobe posted a page of Mac OS X 10.7 "Lion" Creative Suite compatibility notes:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/905/cpsid_90508.html

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what "Favicons" are. Obviously, I've never used them. ;-)

De gustibus non disputandem.

Hi Godfrey,
    In the URL entry box at the top in the browser there is a small icon at the start of the line, that is a favicon. They also show up beside the bookmarks you store, I find I tend to use them as a visual cue a lot without really being that aware of them, you may well do so also.
    David Anderson

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In the URL entry box at the top in the browser there is a small icon at the start of the line, that is a favicon. They also show up beside the bookmarks you store, I find I tend to use them as a visual cue a lot without really being that aware of them, you may well do so also.
    Ah, those things. Never heard that term for them. I thought they were browser icons. Some of my bookmarks have them, some not. Many are the same across several bookmarks.

I don't find them much of a visual cue ... I arrange my bookmarks more by position than by what they look like.