The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question for MAC users: Lion today?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I understand Apple's newest version of OSX—Lion—is going on sale today (at least here in the U.S.) Are you planning on installing it right away or will you wait and see?

I haven't tracked this iteration's pre-release press enough to really know if there's a significant level of new "improvements". So even though I love to be early with this kind of thing, I'm feeling lazy and might wait a day or two.

Just curious how others think.

Thanks,
Tim

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Not a snowball's chance... Why would you? Whatever improvements there are won't change your life and even if there is a small chance (in my opinion the chance is actually fairly high) that you'll be affected by one of the X.0 release bugs then it won't be worth it!

Just wait a month or two. You'll get all the benefits and the chance of wasting time (or worse) with any bugs will be greatly mitigated.

http://www.captureintegration.com/2011/05/10/the-wisdom-of-waiting-media-pro/

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

trisberg

What's the new feature you really need? I don't see anything that warrants an immediate upgrade. Think I'll stick with Snow Leopard for quite a while. Maybe I'll upgrade my Air at some point just to experience the App Store upgrade process.

-Thomas

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I agree. It's hard to risk the stability I have with Snow for the fairly light embellishments Lion is offering. I haven't seen anything listed that tells me I "have to have it". Like speed improvements or an app that magically restores the color to my (now) grey hair. Either one of which would make it a "must have". :p

Godfrey

I'll buy and install within a couple of days onto my external startup drive for testing. That drive mirrors the internal startup drive on my system so I can then determine what if anything I have to worry about without compromising my current system and workflow needs until I have it well characterized with respect to display calibration, printer and software dependencies.

I connect the external drive via FireWire 800 so the performance is slightly down from the internal drive, but I've not found that to be a significant issue for testing and calibration.

If it works out well for a few weeks, I'll then install on the internal drive.

Terry

I'm downloading it now on a non critical laptop. I figure if there are issues I have two other readily accessible machines so I won't be dead. It is a very long download so I think that new data center in North Carolina will be getting quite a workout today.

mathomas

I'll buy and install within a couple of days onto my external startup drive for testing.

I'm going to hold off for a while because I'm a software developer and use my machine all day every day (hopefully one of the co-workers will jump and take the risk for me :)).

Please let us know what you find out, Godfrey.

sagar

I installed, up and running. So far so good.
Its the smoothest upgrade, I have ever done including downloading 4Gigs from Apple.

Braeside

I played with the GM of Lion and won't be installing it until I am forced to. Offers nothing I need but kills any legacy PPC stuff I have and I hate the grey icons in the Finder Sidebar.

I normally am desperate to install the latest and greatest but not this time.

Terry

I'm up and running. Reverse scrolling is going to take some time to get used to. Back and forward on web pages is nice and the new mail program with conversation view is great. Expose which is now Mission control is nice.....Launch Pad - not so sure I guess if I collect Apps like the iPad perhaps.

Braeside

You can revert to normal scrolling in the System Prefs.
Under TrackPad or Mouse. Change either and it changes both.

Godfrey

I'm going to hold off for a while because I'm a software developer and use my machine all day every day (hopefully one of the co-workers will jump and take the risk for me :)).

Please let us know what you find out, Godfrey.
This is one reason I've usually kept two systems ... I'm running just one system right now and it feels weird not to be able to set one up separately to do the download and install.

I'll likely get another system soon, when they do a 13" form factor Pro model with a quad core processor. The size is more important to me right now than the additional processing power.

Hmm, maybe I'll borrow my partners identical system to get the image downloaded.

Terry

Also if anyone hates the new Mail look and feel, there is still a classic view available.
I love the new mail so far. I'm using it in two column view (hiding the mailbox info) and conversation mode. It works more like my iPad mail but seems to be smarter. For instance all of my PMs from the forum are now grouped and this is not the case on my iPad. Similar with notifications on other sites. also the autocorrection in spelling seems to be better at fixing what you messed up. Still have underlining in red but when in blue the system is making the change for you.

Terry

This is one reason I've usually kept two systems ... I'm running just one system right now and it feels weird not to be able to set one up separately to do the download and install.

I'll likely get another system soon, when they do a 13" form factor Pro model with a quad core processor. The size is more important to me right now than the additional processing power.

Hmm, maybe I'll borrow my partners identical system to get the image downloaded.
It doesn't seem to work like the disk image of other upgrades. Once you start the download it wants you to continue all the way through installation. I don't see where there is a saved image unless you then clone to another drive but then you could simply just download again from the App Store.

Braeside

I love the new mail so far. I'm using it in two column view (hiding the mailbox info) and conversation mode. It works more like my iPad mail but seems to be smarter. For instance all of my PMs from the forum are now grouped and this is not the case on my iPad. Similar with notifications on other sites. also the autocorrection in spelling seems to be better at fixing what you messed up. Still have underlining in red but when in blue the system is making the change for you.
I must admit I prefer the Mail "classic view", I can easily see the columns I want in the upper half of the pane. Search is better in the new Mail though.

I don't want my Mac to be like an iPad, though Apple seem to be going that way with Launch Pad.

Have you noticed that your home folder /Library is now hidden? Thin end of the wedge?

TimeMachine now writes local "snapshots" to your hard disk on a portable Mac, and you can't turn it off without turning off TimeMachine completely. Goodbye hard disk space.