The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question for MAC users: Lion today?

jonoslack

Jono, I'm not sure what you mean about restoring from June's time machine backup, can you clarify what you were doing?
Hmmm - I ensured that my time machine backup on my external drive was up to date (and checked by looking at the files). Then started new MBA, chose to restore from time machine backup . . . . . and the most recent file/application/update after the restore was 27th June. Rather irritating really! I'll treat time machine backups with care in future.

It's not that much of a problem - important files are on dropbox . . application updates are easy . . . I also have chronosync backup . . . but it might be an issue for someone else.

jonoslack

Sorry, but the scrolling default is simply backwards to me and I've inverted it so that it works properly*now. That's why they give us these options ..
Hmmm . . . scroll down and the page goes down . . . scroll up and the page goes up . . . sounds good to me (although it does take a little time after decade of doing it wrong!).

Terry

OK one of my favorite new features defaults to being turned off :loco:. It is called App Expose and I find it particularly useful with Safari.

I tend to accumulate a lot of safari pages open all at once (usually from opening twitter links). If you turn it on in systems preferences -> trackpad -> more gestures it is a three finger swipe downwards. It will show you all of the open pages of that application. This is different than mission control that will show you all of your different apps that are open.

Godfrey

Hmmm . . . scroll down and the page goes down . . . scroll up and the page goes up . . . sounds good to me (although it does take a little time after decade of doing it wrong!).
When you put toilet paper onto the holder in the bathroom, does the paper roll off the front or the back of the roll? Which way is "wrong"?

I think that wars have been fought over that one. ];-)

Braeside

OK one of my favorite new features defaults to being turned off :loco:. It is called App Expose and I find it particularly useful with Safari.

I tend to accumulate a lot of safari pages open all at once (usually from opening twitter links). If you turn it on in systems preferences -> trackpad -> more gestures it is a three finger swipe downwards. It will show you all of the open pages of that application. This is different than mission control that will show you all of your different apps that are open.
There are a lot of options for the gestures aren't there Terry? It sometimes gets a bit confusing between the different ones on the Magic Mouse and the MBP Trackpad.

I tend to use tabs in Safari so don't usually have multiple Safari windows open, hence don't use App Expose so much, but thanks for reminding me about it.

I'm back to "unnatural" scrolling again this morning.:deadhorse:

Braeside

Hmmm - I ensured that my time machine backup on my external drive was up to date (and checked by looking at the files). Then started new MBA, chose to restore from time machine backup . . . . . and the most recent file/application/update after the restore was 27th June. Rather irritating really! I'll treat time machine backups with care in future.

It's not that much of a problem - important files are on dropbox . . application updates are easy . . . I also have chronosync backup . . . but it might be an issue for someone else.
Thanks for the clarification Jono. Annoying but not disasterous at least!

I kicked of a brand new TimeMachine backup for this Lion MBP last night over Airport to a USB drive on my Airport Extreme and it has completed and appears to be working properly now (Updating quickly without indexing errors).

I also use SuperDuper! to clone my drives as TimeMachine is set not to back up the virtual machines I use in Parallel Desktop. (Because it takes too long to backup the huge VM file every time a part of it changes).

One of the things I haven't tried yet is the new whole disk encryption option in Lion (New FileVault). Need to find out how it works with TimeMachine first.

Terry

I tend to use tabs in Safari so don't usually have multiple Safari windows open, hence don't use App Expose so much, but thanks for reminding me about it.

I work in tabbed browsing as well but I use twitter as essentially a scrolling news service. Each tweet has a link and each link opens up as a new web page and isn't smart enough to tab. So, I either have to be very tidy and close every page as I go along or I end up with many pages open. The implementation on my iPad/iPhone is much better as a link pulls up the webpage with the twitter application and to get back to your twitter feed you must close the web page. Much faster and tidier.

Godfrey

There are a lot of options for the gestures aren't there Terry? It sometimes gets a bit confusing between the different ones on the Magic Mouse and the MBP Trackpad.

I'm back to "unnatural" scrolling again this morning.:deadhorse:
I'm finding using the full screen mode in Safari on the MBP13 screen is great, but overwhelming when I'm on the 27" display where the layered window approach seems more sensible. There are definitely differences in how best to use a system linked to screen size and available room to navigate.

Interesting: Multiple Safari windows show up as separate spaces in Mission Control, you slide between them.

I'm trying to use the unnatural scrolling direction again too. It would be easier to retrain my fingers if there weren't the scroller bar appearing giving me an inverse visual cue as to what I'm trying to do when I pull down vs up. The scroller indicator pops up and my hand wants to follow its motion. I think that's what's really discomfiting about it. On the iPad, the scroller indication is so small it's hardly noticeable and doesn't distract.

Terry

Interesting: Multiple Safari windows show up as separate spaces in Mission Control, you slide between them.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

I'm not using spaces so when I go into mission control I get a stack of Safari pages and I can chose one to click on. I'm getting there with either the Mission Control on the dock, the old expose key on my keyboard or three finger upward swipe.

If I do a three finger downward swipe. I get all of the Safari pages individually split up similar to how expose used to work. The three finger downward swipe gesture is called App Expose in System Preferences.

emr

How's Aperture working for you guys? I just transfered only 6 Pentax PEF raw files to Aperture 3.1.3 and exported them in JPEG with no extra PP and the whole laptop became hellishly sluggish for several minutes. A 2008 MBP with 4GB. Aperture has been a bit too slow before also, but not like this.

Terry

I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

I'm not using spaces so when I go into mission control I get a stack of Safari pages and I can chose one to click on. I'm getting there with either the Mission Control on the dock, the old expose key on my keyboard or three finger upward swipe.

If I do a three finger downward swipe. I get all of the Safari pages individually split up similar to how expose used to work. The three finger downward swipe gesture is called App Expose in System Preferences.
OK, I just figured out what Godfrey is seeing. In App Expose doesn't work in full screen mode. In full screen mode Lion considers each Safari page to be the equivalent of occupying a "space".

Braeside

How's Aperture working for you guys? I just transfered only 6 Pentax PEF raw files to Aperture 3.1.3 and exported them in JPEG with no extra PP and the whole laptop became hellishly sluggish for several minutes. A 2008 MBP with 4GB. Aperture has been a bit too slow before also, but not like this.
Seems fine here on a 2101 MBP with 8GB RAM. Maybe more RAM is helping I don't know. I did use it with 4GB in SL and it was OK in Aperture, but I haven't tried 4GB with Lion.

Braeside

Godfrey,

Yes the fullscreen Safari is good on my MBP 13 also. Have not installed Lion on a larger Mac myself yet to try it but I can imagine what you mean.

To clarify I am using what Apple might define as unnatural scrolling. I suddenly thought, why am I putting myself through this? - I have the choice of keeping what I am used to and it works just fine for me.

Braeside

Regarding Aperture, the Fullscreen mode in Lion is not what I expected it might be, it is actually the normal fullscreen mode that Aperture has always used.

Braeside

I work in tabbed browsing as well but I use twitter as essentially a scrolling news service. Each tweet has a link and each link opens up as a new web page and isn't smart enough to tab. So, I either have to be very tidy and close every page as I go along or I end up with many pages open. The implementation on my iPad/iPhone is much better as a link pulls up the webpage with the twitter application and to get back to your twitter feed you must close the web page. Much faster and tidier.
Understand Terry, thanks. I take it you have tried all combinations of Safari preferences for Tabs and new windows still open?

Braeside

I finally found where scrolling speed for trackpad or mouse can be set:

System preferences > Universal Access > Mouse & Trackpad > Trackpad Options

Why it wasn't in Mouse or TrackPad was puzzling me.

jonoslack

To clarify I am using what Apple might define as unnatural scrolling. I suddenly thought, why am I putting myself through this? - I have the choice of keeping what I am used to and it works just fine for me.
Hi David - and Godfrey
Of course I was tongue in cheek when talking of right and wrong. it's each to his own. It probably depends what pointing device you're using, today it's a magic mouse, but usually I use a touchpad for scrolling.

I understand completely about the scroll-bar - but you can always grab it if that's what you like. I'm still convinced the new way is 'better' . . . but I have to admit that I'm not used to it yet, and my 'muscle memory' thinks it's stupid!

And although I agree that wars have been fought over which way the loo paper is rolled . . . . I don't think we need to have one about this!

all the best

bensonga

Slightly off topic, but there are certain things I have never liked about the Mac OS and maybe it's because I just don't know all the ways it can be customized or used. Perhaps someone here can set me straight. Here is the number one thing that annoys me: In the Mac Finder, it seems I can only re-size a window by grabbing the lower right corner. By contrast, in Windows OS, I can re-size a window by grabbing any corner or any side of the window. Is there a way in the Mac OS to do what I can do in Windows OS? Sorry for getting a little off topic here.

My main computers are PCs running Windows 7, but I frequently use my 15 inch Macbook Pro, just for the fun of trying something different.

Gary