The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

C1 and file properties on the PC

cunim

I have begun using C1 over the past month. Pretty simple piece of software with one serious problem and a bunch of less serious ones.

The serious one has to do with changes to file security properties. I see it on muyltiple PCs running W7/64. If I import couple of dozen IQ images through C1, some of them become locked. By that I mean they cannot be deleted, renamed, or resaved after changes. The error message is that "You do not have permission to perform this action" or "the file is open in explorer - close the file and try again". That sort of thing. Looking at file ownership in security properties shows that Windows does not have an owner for the file and won't assign it to a current user.

This happens even with C1 no longer running. For example, take a TIF into CS5, manipulate it, then try to save. If it is one of the locked ones, no go. Display the directory in explorer and try to delete the image. Again, no go. I believe C1's databasing function latches on to certain files - no idea why - trashes the ownership properties and makes them unmodifiable. The only solution is a reboot, which appears to reset file properties.

Anyone experienced this?

darr

No. But my workflow may be different from yours. I shoot tethered to a Mac Pro via C1. I then process and send the files to my workstation that is running Win7. I open them up in Win7 C1, checking the first process and then import to Lightroom. From LR, I file, edit via PS, print, etc.

Since I read your post, I just opened files in Win 7 C1 and changed their names with no difficulty. I then re-opened them in LR. LR had a problem with the files because of the name change, but I easily corrected it, but, when I renamed the files in LR and then opened them in C1, C1 had absolutely no problems opening them under their new names as LR did.

Again, I shoot tethered via Mac C1, process the original files in Mac C1, move them to Win 7 64 C1, process more if necessary; close C1, import folder into my LR catalog and do further work such as: PS export, import (no difficulties), print, and/or export for the web or DVD.

It sounds like a Windows problem to me, but I am not a programer.

Hopefully others will contribute. I know what a PITA computer-software problems can be--good luck!

cunim

I put in a case to Phase tech support. Got an answer within hours. They say this is not a rearrangement of file properties (BAD Peter, don't speculate) but a known problem with the "WIC" function within C1. I am not sure, but I believe it is Windows only. A fix will be in a later service release.

For now, they supplied a file which disables WIC in C1. I will try it and hope it works.